1Password account required? [For 1Password 6, yes. Local vaults are not supported yet]

vlczero
vlczero
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi support team,

After 1Password 6 updated the only way to access my vault is by using 1Password mini. The main application asks for a account that i do not have. I have been reading the forum for the last 30 min and people are talking about a subscription model... I guess i would have to go back to version 4 ( for which i have a license key ) to use my vault again if i don't want a subscription?

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2017

Hi @vlczero,

Thanks for writing in.

When updating to 1Password 6.5, the previous local vault setup should still be migrated properly but we are tracking a bug where it may not work properly, it's why the 1Password mini works but not the main app. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

For now, you can either go back to 1Password 6.4 and wait until we fix this or switch to 1Password 4. If you do not want to use 1Password.com service, then your best option is 1Password 4 for the moment. Is there a specific reason you do not wish to use the subscription besides the cost? 1Password.com service will be the future for us.

1Password 6 does not support local vaults from the beginning and it will not have full support for a while.

• vlczero
    vlczero
    Community Member

@MikeT thanks for taking the time to reply.

The vault I have is a "backup" from my mac so i'm using it as a read only vault on my Windows game pc to have acces to all my passwords.

If you can direct me to a link where I can download 6.4 that would be great but I think the best option is go back to version 4 because I don't want to get update notifications while I'm gaming.

The cost to go for the subscription is not a problem for me. It's the way the subscription model feels forced in the application because before I checked 1Password mini there was no way to acces my passwords on the Windows machine without making a account. I guess this was because of the bug you are talking about.

The reason I started using 1Password products years ago was because of the ensurance that my passwords would never leave my machines without explicitly telling 1Password to make a backup on/in iCloud,Dropbox or a folder sync. Out of those option I'm using folder sync to a server that only I have acces to. A migration to any online service is not an option for me.

I have not checked the payment options but I can guess that the only way to pay the subscription is with a creditcard. That I don't have because it's marked as debt in my country by just having one ( crazy right )

Have a great weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeT thanks for taking the time to reply. The vault I have is a "backup" from my mac so i'm using it as a read only vault on my Windows game pc to have acces to all my passwords.

@vlczero: That's kind of cool. I do something similar with one of my computers that I doesn't get a lot of everyday use too, and I can see how that would be handy on a gaming PC.

If you can direct me to a link where I can download 6.4 that would be great but I think the best option is go back to version 4 because I don't want to get update notifications while I'm gaming.

You can download pretty much any version from our update site. But 1Password doesn't currently have update notifications that would interfere with your gaming, as it's confined to 1Password itself (not global). Just keep in mind that while 1Password 6 can read local vaults, this is designed for importing. It sounds like that shouldn't be a problem in your situation, but I wanted to clarify just in case you were expecting to be able to sync or edit there. If you do, as Mike mentioned, 1Password 4 might be a better option.

The cost to go for the subscription is not a problem for me. It's the way the subscription model feels forced in the application because before I checked 1Password mini there was no way to acces my passwords on the Windows machine without making a account. I guess this was because of the bug you are talking about.

Sorry for the confusion and trouble there. While we feel that a 1Password.com membership has a lot to offer and we'd certainly appreciate the support, it's up to you whether you sign up for that to give it a try or not.

The reason I started using 1Password products years ago was because of the ensurance that my passwords would never leave my machines without explicitly telling 1Password to make a backup on/in iCloud,Dropbox or a folder sync. Out of those option I'm using folder sync to a server that only I have acces to. A migration to any online service is not an option for me.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're trying to make given that iCloud and Dropbox are also online services, but I did want to make it clear that when you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since your Secret Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper if you're curious. It's a good read, especially if you're already interested in security. :)

I have not checked the payment options but I can guess that the only way to pay the subscription is with a creditcard. That I don't have because it's marked as debt in my country by just having one ( crazy right ) Have a great weekend!

Indeed, currently we're only able to accept credit card payments, but we'd like to make other options available in the future as well. The situation is similar here...except in my country pretty everyone has debt, so it isn't generally considered a bad thing. But I get your meaning. I'd love to hear what your preferred payment method might be, just so we can keep that in mind as we expand it. I hope you have a good weekend as well. Cheers! :chuffed:

• ajhsieh
    ajhsieh
    Community Member

You can download pretty much any version from our update site. But 1Password doesn't currently have update notifications that would interfere with your gaming, as it's confined to 1Password itself (not global). Just keep in mind that while 1Password 6 can read local vaults, this is designed for importing. It sounds like that shouldn't be a problem in your situation, but I wanted to clarify just in case you were expecting to be able to sync or edit there. If you do, as Mike mentioned, 1Password 4 might be a better option.

Hi brenty - I'm running into the similar reported bug with 6.5 where my local vaults are blocked by the new sign-up flow. I'm trying to download an older version via the site above, but I can't seem to find a resource link (even in the full changelog, only the most recent version has a download link). Am I missing something obvious?

thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ajhsieh: Ah, I'm really sorry about that! First I thought maybe I'd forgotten the hyperlink, or that you didn't see it...but I see that we still need to update the Windows changelog with links. My fault. :(

It's a bit complicated as we're currently using Microsoft's HockeyApp for provisioning (you'll only have access to the betas if you'd signed up for them and logged in, for example), but you can download the app directly from there:

1Password for Windows (HockeyApp)

Again, I apologize for sending you on that wild goose chase. :blush:

• ajhsieh
    ajhsieh
    Community Member

Thanks much, appreciated! back up and running again!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@ajhsieh: Great news! :) On behalf of Brenty you are very welcome. Please reach out to us anytime, we are always happy to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.