Dropbox vaults

Options

Comments

• frame123
    frame123
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I can tell, AgileBits, you are attempting to force users who already paid for your product to now also pay you a subscription fee. This is infuriating. I paid $50 for the standalone app for Mac, then paid another $20 for the iOS app, evangelized your product to countless friends, family, and colleagues who purchased it.... and now you want more of my money.

From your staff above: "...the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app only supports local vaults for importing; they're read only and are not sync'd. You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership..."

Translation: "...we need more recurring revenue, so we went ahead and disabled the software you already paid for. Don't worry - you can get it working again by just starting a membership!"

So you've just "updated" the app, removing my ability to access my existing vault from dropbox (forcing me to a log-in screen), along with my ability to sync my PC to 1Password for Mac vaults via dropbox. And the only way I can get the app to work again on my PC is to start a membership. Am i missing something?

Slimy, disgraceful. Time to look at competitors.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

As far as I can tell, AgileBits, you are attempting to force users who already paid for your product to now also pay you a subscription fee. This is infuriating. I paid $50 for the standalone app for Mac, then paid another $20 for the iOS app, evangelized your product to countless friends, family, and colleagues who purchased it.... and now you want more of my money.

@frame123: Indeed, if you'd like to take advantage of the things we're doing now, you'll need to pay. While we appreciate it if you've supported us in the past by purchasing our products, you didn't pay for 1Password 6. And paying for those particular apps does not entitle you to all of the work we do in perpetuity. A license does not expire though, so you can continue using any version you've paid for until you no longer have hardware that will run it.

So you've just "updated" the app, removing my ability to access my existing vault from dropbox (forcing me to a log-in screen), along with my ability to sync my PC to 1Password for Mac vaults via dropbox. And the only way I can get the app to work again on my PC is to start a membership. Am i missing something?

1Password 6 can still access local vaults (including those in your Dropbox folder) via the local folder feature:

Just keep in mind that this is designed for importing data. I appreciate that this isn't ideal, but that's the only way to use it for free.

Slimy, disgraceful. Time to look at competitors.

To be clear, while name calling (and hijacking others' threads to do it) isn't acceptable, you are welcome here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

If you need help, we're happy to oblige, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

If you ever have questions about how to use the AgileBits product(s) you've purchased, just let us know and we'll help you get sorted.

• frame123
    frame123
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 6 can still access local vaults (including those in your Dropbox folder) via the local folder feature:

This appears to be untrue. You cannot even get to the button without first creating an account, which places you into the Trial then Pay subscription cycle.

I don't take issue so much with your current subscription model, but with you:

(a) treating early customers who've already paid you upwards of $100 no differently than new customers who've paid zero (why not allow them free updates, but less support, and just charge new customers monthly?),

and (b) offering no warning whatsoever that by clicking the 1Password for Windows update button--on what appears to be a small update--you're disabling their app completely, something that's only remedied by rolling back versions, or paying for a subscription. You could have avoided this by simply offering a very clear warning before updating the app.

This is a fork in the road for any company between (a) recognizing your early loyal customers, or (b) putting profits first. Clearly, you've chosen the latter.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This appears to be untrue. You cannot even get to the button without first creating an account, which places you into the Trial then Pay subscription cycle.

@frame123: While inaccurate, that's fair. There's a bug where in some cases you'll be kicked out to the account sign in screen, and we're working on a fix for that.

I don't take issue so much with your current subscription model, but with you:
    (a) treating early customers who've already paid you upwards of $100 no differently than new customers who've paid zero (why not allow them free updates, but less support, and just charge new customers monthly?),

We offer the same support to any of our customers. We still have folks using 1Password 3 from 2009, and are happy to help them. We'd be helping version 1 and 2 users too if they reached out to us, but I suspect we don't hear from any of them because it's nearly impossible to get a computer that will run those these days — and probably not online even.

Now, if you mean as far as having two Windows apps, this is not what we wanted, and frankly it's a lot more work than we'd like it to be as well. But it just wasn't possible to retrofit 1Password 4 to support accounts (that would have been much easier, both from a development and PR perspective). And since we already had a mature standalone app, we had to build a new one for subscribers who had no Windows app otherwise. And 1Password 4 is still more full-featured than 1Password 6, so I don't see how standalone users are getting the short end of that stick. I use both every day, so you're not going to be able to convince me otherwise. Even though we're closing that gap, there are a lot of features I really miss.

and (b) offering no warning whatsoever that by clicking the 1Password for Windows update button--on what appears to be a small update--you're disabling their app completely, something that's only remedied by rolling back versions, or paying for a subscription. You could have avoided this by simply offering a very clear warning before updating the app.

We haven't disabled anyone's app. If you paid for 1Password 4, it still works exactly the same as it did when you purchased it, with additional improvements over time. And folks paying for 1Password.com memberships are finally getting a Windows app that fills many of their needs as well.

This is a fork in the road for any company between (a) recognizing your early loyal customers, or (b) putting profits first. Clearly, you've chosen the latter.

You can think whatever you want, but if by "putting profits first" you mean charging for the work we do, you're dead on. Are you "putting profits first" when you expect to get paid for the work you do? Maybe, but I think that's a rather cynical way of putting it. You have to make a living too, I imagine, and there's no shame in that. We love what we do and we're grateful if we can keep on doing it, but that isn't going to happen unless we get paid. That's just common sense.

This discussion has been closed.