Computer crashed

Options

Hi and Happy Easter to you all.

My computer recently died. Something happened to the hard drive and it wouldn't start up anymore. I replaced the hard drive and I also found that all the data on the old drive was intact. I have now opened an online account here. My question is: can I find all my 1password data anywhere on the old drive? I lost all my passwords in the crash and I didn't have an online account at the time of the crash, just a local version. Are they retrievable?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• planetalk
    planetalk
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I did find on the old drive an archive of zip files. The file name of the latest is 1Password 2017-03-30 053039 (46 items) - Copyagilekeychain.zip

Is that going to be of any use?

By the way, it looks like it's 1Password6
    I'm on a PC, Windows 10

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @planetalk,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm sorry to hear about the computer.

Yes, you can use that .zip file as a backup to restore.

1. Download 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads (1Password 6 will not work with local vaults, only 1Password memberships)
    2. When it opens up, select the Restore from 1Password backup option and direct it to your zip file that you've found.

1Password should then show you the unlock view.

Let me know if it helps.

• planetalk
    planetalk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, MikeT. That's good news.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@planetalk: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! :+1: You can then move all of your data to your 1Password account. If crash happens again, you sign in to your account and all of your data will be there.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• planetalk
    planetalk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Greg. I have done just that and I'm now ready for anything.

All the best,

Kirk Lorange

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Greg and Mike, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• jrussel
    jrussel
    Community Member
    Options

Good to hear it is easy to retrieve, even when transferring to new computer.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jrussel: Thank you for weighing in!

It might not be that easy if you are using a local vault and not 1Password account. Please share more info about your current setup, so we could help you. Thanks! :+1:

• jrussel
    jrussel
    Community Member
    Options

Will let you know Greg, make take a while to decide for need of new computer here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.