Can I add a member who's only role is a backup owner and remain free?

I couldn't seem to find specific confirmation of this in the FAQs.

If I wanted to add a backup owner to our 1PFT account, would this user be chargeable if no vaults were assigned to them? This user is strictly for emergency recovery purposes.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@justingarrett: While it isn't possible to add free team members, all 1Password Teams plans include at least 5 Guests in the base price. So in theory you could add a Guest and give them access to a single shared vault with your own Emergency Kit saved in it, and then store the Guest's Emergency Kit in a safe deposit box, just in case you both lose access all of your authorized devices and your own Emergency Kit. But it seems like it would be better to simply designate another member of your team do do recovery, either as an Owner, Admin, or (if you have a plan that supports it) assigning them to a group with the Recovery ability. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• justingarrett
    justingarrett
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

OK no worries thanks for the reply. I do not really fancy the guest solution and cannot assign one of the other team members as an owner so I'll carry on as I have been. The actual likelihood of the main owner losing access is pretty much zero anyway but I thought if I could do it in a way that was free then all good.

It would be a nice "feature" to be able to just have an owner / admin who are not members of a team as such.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Having a non-member recovery person is not something that's possible today, so I just wanted to suggest something that was. I'm not sure I understand wanting someone on your team to be able to perform recovery but not actually let them use 1Password. It's something we can consider for the future though. Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.