Backup vault on Windows? [No backups are needed with 1Password.com memberships]

Options
trastan
trastan
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Is there a way to manually backup the vault on a Windows machine? I'm a subscriber on the latest Windows software.

I see references on the page linked below, but it only discusses version 4 for Windows, which isn't exactly helpful.

https://support.1password.com/backups/#your-1password-account-is-backed-up-automatically

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 and 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @trastan,

Thanks for writing in.

There are no backups needed for 1Password.com memberships, we automatically take care of your backups on our servers and we also integrate deeply with backups by offering item history that you can undo on any item changes. That's the purpose of 1Password.com memberships, so you don't have to do anything with your 1Password data, we'll take care of the backend and you'll focus on your 1Password data.

Backups only exist for the local vaults, which is only supported in 1Password 4 for Windows, 1Password 6 does not do local vaults yet.

• trastan
    trastan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @MikeT.

I think that it's great that you have some automated back-up process (30 days for a single account, right?) on your servers. However, I don't feel comfortable trusting my information to that entirely. You can't have too many backups, right?

Am I somehow able to get a locked version of my database to store offline, just in case? Is the only possible option a naked .txt export?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @trastan,

I think that it's great that you have some automated back-up process (30 days for a single account, right?) on your servers.

The Item History is 365 days as mentioned here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

It is 30 days for 1Password Teams and unlimited for 1Password Teams Pro plans.

However, I don't feel comfortable trusting my information to that entirely. You can't have too many backups, right?

We use Amazon's cloud services, they have multiple redundant copies stored around the planet. And technically, you can as there is no such thing as infinite storage.

However, the problem with offline backup copies is that you're risking the chance of someone finding your old backups and using it against you. For an example, you change your 1Password password because someone figured out your master password but you have the Secret Key to protect you further and you can change the master password, your data is not at risk.

However, all of your local backups are now vulnerable because it is stored with the old master password. Now, someone just has to figure out your Secret Key.

That's the problem we're trying to figure out and why there is no offline "archival" copy yet. We need a secondary method to protect your backups locally without central servers, something you can create yourself.

Am I somehow able to get a locked version of my database to store offline, just in case? Is the only possible option a naked .txt export?

Not yet but you can export if you really need it.

• trastan
    trastan
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Fair enough. It's a little scary to have such vital account info in "one" place, but I can see your point. 365 day history is much better than I had thought, and you do make a good case against local copies.

I guess that I'll trust you for now! ;) I do hope that you bring back offline archival copies in some fashion in the future, but I'll try to get used to the idea of a purely cloud-based solution.

Thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @trastan,

You're welcome. One thing that might help is getting a sense of how 1Password.com works with our technical whitepaper here and we have a $100K bug bounty along with security audits by three separate security firms. We're happy to answer any questions you have as well.

This discussion has been closed.