1Password Family user guide?

pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member

I have been using 1Password (single account) for a number of years, so am fairly familiar with its features. I am considering moving to a 1Password Families account. I know there is a free trial period, but I am looking for a user guide that explains how it works. Does such a guide exist? If no, let me ask three questions here.

1. Let's say there are 4 family members. I would want 5 vaults: one for each family member that can be accessed only by the specific family member, plus a 5th vault that can be shared by all family members. Is this how 1P Families works?

2. In the 5th, shared vault, can I limit updates to a single family member? In other words, only one family member can add / update items in the 5th vault, but all family members have "read access" to the vault?

3. I use Wifi Sync and do not store my 1P data in the cloud. Does 1P Families force me to move to the cloud? Or can I still keep my "master" 1P data on my iMac, and have each family member Wifi sync their own iOS device (and relevant vaults) to the iMac?

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    edited October 2017

Hi @pomme4moi - Thank you for reaching out to us and I appreciate the additional details you provided. I appreciate the loyalty over the years and it's great to hear you want to give 1Password Families a test drive.

Let's say there are 4 family members. I would want 5 vaults: one for each family member that can be accessed only by the specific family member, plus a 5th vault that can be shared by all family members. Is this how 1P Families works?

Each family member by default receives a Personal & Shared vault. Personal vaults can only be accessed by that member, not by you or anyone else. All members also get access to a Shared vault, and you can create additional vaults to share with specific members and manage things a bit more.

In the 5th, shared vault, can I limit updates to a single family member? In other words, only one family member can add / update items in the 5th vault, but all family members have "read access" to the vault?

As a Family Organizer, you can add permissions to any Shared vault. The permissions include editing, viewing, and managing. Yes, you can have one family member with "manage, editing, and viewing" permissions and then just restrict the other family members to "viewing" only.

I use Wifi Sync and do not store my 1P data in the cloud. Does 1P Families force me to move to the cloud? Or can I still keep my "master" 1P data on my iMac, and have each family member Wifi sync their own iOS device (and relevant vaults) to the iMac?

One of the benefits of using using a 1Password Families accounts, we take care of all the syncing and backups for you. So you don't have to manage syncing via a third party or via WiFi sync. There is no option to sync via WiFi. When you add a new item to your Personal vault, as long as the account has been added to your devices, the item will auto-sync across your various devices and via the web.

We don't have a specific guide but I will include a couple of helpful links below that might be useful:

I hope this information helped a bit and let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help out :smile:

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member

Thank you!

• Anytime @pomme4moi :+1: We're always here and happy to help out if you run into any questions along the way :smile: Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.