Best plan for sharing with non-paying members?

sriggins
sriggins
Community Member

Is there a way to share account access with non-paying family members, or do I simply need to up the number of users on my account?

If said family member creates an account under my account, can they later move it to their own account and remain linked to mine?

Basically, I am putting some data I want to share with siblings who are not Families users, and want to know all of the ramifications of one approach vs. another.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Frank
    edited April 2017

Hi @sriggins - Great question! With a 1Password Families account, we include five guest accounts (in addition to the five family members) which are designed to be used for outside "family members". Guest accounts receive all the same benefits of a "regular family member": all the apps, web access, and auto-sync. The only difference is guest accounts are limited to using one Shared vault at a time. As of right now, guest accounts can't be converted to a "regular family member" and will have to be re-invited over to the account. If they decide to create an account of their own, they can migrate the data from the Shared vault over to the new account via the apps. There is no way to link two accounts together but it's a great idea! I hope this helped a bit and let us know if you have any additional questions. :+1: Have a great day!

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

ok so to make sure I understand, this guest account cannot be converted into a full account, right? i.e. if they use their main email address as a guest account, it will always be a guest account?

• That is correct. The only way to "convert" them would be to delete the guest account and re-invite them as a "full" Family Member, then give them access to the vault that was previously shared with the guest account.

Ben

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

ok thanks! I just didn't want them getting stuck on our account. I assume they could also export their data locally, delete the account and start over (should something happen to us)

• @sriggins,

Being on your account they are somewhat stuck to you... in that if you delete their account they'd lose access. Likewise if you were to delete your entire membership they'd lose access. If you were to stop paying for your membership they would still have access to their data but it would be read-only (see this article).

But yes if you were to work with them (i.e. not suddenly delete their account on them without warning) they could transition data from the shared vault they have access to into a vault in their own account were they to create one.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.