New Categories? I want to be able to keep track of serial numbers (vehicles, guns, etc.)

I like to keep records of physical assets in a secure place. 1-Password would be great for that. Is it possible to create new categories with user defined fields? For instance, I would keep vehicle information (make, model, date of purchase, VIN, ESN, etc.) or information about firearms (Make, Model, when/where purchased, serial number, when/where sold, etc.) or other categories where keeping track of serial numbers is important for legal or warranty situations.

How are others keeping track of this stuff inside 1-Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tjgarland1,

Thanks for writing in.

Custom categories is a beta feature at the moment in 1Password Teams, you'd be able to create your own categories. We'd like to bring this to all 1Password.com plans but we don't have an ETA just yet, it's still an experiment.

For now, you can choose any existing category and add your own custom fields. Save it as a blank item with a tag, so that you can duplicate it and then fill in the data you want to track. The tag is to keep track of them easily. I would recommend using Secure Notes as the base category to customize.

• PloughGuy
    PloughGuy
    Community Member

This guy is also waiting for a "Serial Numbers" category to be added, with a nice icon and all.

I suspect the reason we have not seen it yet is that the art department has chewed the ends off an entire tray of Lakelands trying to think up an icon. Bates motel? Nope, that's serial killers... Kellogg's? Nope, that's cereal. 1,2,3? Nope, that's sequential... "This is not a pipe"? Surreal.

Until then, I get them tattooed on my bum in case I need to show them to the police.

My favourite serial no so far is 911191. Or maybe 161116. There is no other writing on the label and the ones have no serifs. (Celestron! Get with the program!). If that dingus is nicked, I will have to figure out how to drop my pants while standing on my head.

Or A'bits could add this feature.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@PloughGuy: Thank you for weighing in! :+1: You are right, custom categories are hard to get right, so they are currently in beta/experiment. I am sure our designers can take that challenge, though. :lol:

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• minesola
    minesola
    Community Member

I too need to create my own categories. I need one for Web Site Memberships. I want to separate them from actual Brick and Mortal (stores) memberships. Just picky! Is there away I can look at the beta? Beta Tester? I guess? Thanks. I will use the Secure Notes as suggested. However, will be able to transfer this directly rather than retype it when creating a new Category is available? I use the software version of the program, not the cloud version!

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@minesola: Custom categories are a beta feature in the 1Password Teams Pro plan currently, but they wouldn't help you in this case anyway. Only login items can be used to fill login credentials on websites, so you'll want to stick with that anyway. 1Password 6 supports Rich Icons for many sites though, and we will be adding the ability to set custom icons for items in a future update as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.