Feature request: Templates & Sections

Options

I have been working with 1Password for over 6 years and have been more enthusiastic about this product since switching to 1Password Families.

Over the years, I have accumulated 900+ entries, which I now gradually "normalize" and try to bring in a uniform form.

For this my feature requests:

1 - Custom forms

1Password comes with a lot of forms and gives you an idea of what you could do.
However, I have not yet used a single form out-of-the-box because I either have predefined fields or entire information blocks missing.
Also I like to use the sectionnames and fieldnames in my own language (german).
It would therefore be nice if I could mark a self-defined entry (layout of the sections and definition of content fields) as a template and this would be available in the form selection in the future

2 - Movable sections

Since I have already created some templates for myself I'm (too) often in the situation that I am satisfied with the basic design (logical arrangement of the sections and content fields) but in the practical application
when completing the form I realize that I have forgotten something to add.
If this is a content field it is not a problem as this field can be simply added and positioned appropriately.
If I have forgotten a whole section, however, I currently have no way to place this new section between i.e. the existing sections 1 and 2, but only at the end.
This is important to me because I consider sections as information blocks that are related to the content and order them in a certain order (priority, frequency of use).

Therefore not only the content elements should be movable within a section with Alt + Down/Up arrow, but also the whole section itself.
And since the deletion of a section also automatically deletes all content elements within it, I assume that the element section is already designed as a "container" and thus can be moved as a whole unit.

For the moment I help myself in that way that I always create 5 empty sections between 2 contents filled sections "in stock".
Thus, I still have the possibility to place a section afterwards specifically between two existing sections.
And since an empty section is not displayed in View-Mode but is available in the Edit-Mode the additional definitions do not interfere with the appearance.

Otherwise please continue with your good work and passion!

/Willy

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Sync Type: 1Password Family

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Nightrider,

Thanks for writing in.

1 - Custom forms

You might want to read my post here about the same feature request. Basically, we have Custom Categories as a beta feature for 1Password Teams at the moment that we're working on and hoping to bring it to everyone.

For now, you can use Secure Notes as a base, add the custom fields and sections you want, save it with a tag. Duplicate it next time to fill in the data you want. You use the tag as a way to collect them all. We don't yet have a duplicate method in 1Password 6 for Windows, you can either duplicate it on the 1Password.com web app or copy it in 1Password 6 to another vault and copy it back.

2 - Movable sections

This is something we plan to support in the future, it's harder to move a block of fields than it is to move a single field. The macOS version already supports this and we do plan to bring this to all versions.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

Can you please clarify your last part on number two for movable sections? You note that "the macOS version already supports this" but I am on macOS with the latest version using a 1Password.com Account but it does not have the ability to move sections, just items within a section and in between sections, not entire sections. Am I missing something though?

The ability to move entire sections has been mentioned in the forums as far back as 2015, as far as I can find, and surely earlier elsewhere. This seems like a no-brainer for people who like to keep their 1Password items organized, and I mean one of the main points of 1Password is to keep things organized by having them in one place. So I just really don't quite understand why this is such a delayed feature. Any thoughts on that?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @DustinDauncey,

I am sorry for this confusion! I just checked it myself and it seems that movable sections are not yet available in 1Password for Mac. It is definitely on our list of improvements for both platforms (Mac and Windows), so please stay tuned. :)

If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to reach out. Thank you!

ref: OPM-1289

This discussion has been closed.