Master Password wont work on macOS, but works fine on iOS with same password.

Options
sgparr
sgparr
Community Member

While attempting to login to my master vault (using the same password for a while now) it stated that the password was invalid. I attempted the same on my iPhone and iPad - it worked with both the touch authentication and the password authentication. I attempted a sync with iCloud and it worked. I even modified an entry to verify that it synced across devices and it was successful. I tried it on two different macOS systems I have and two iOS devices. Problem acted consistently; working on iOS but not macOS. I attempted to re-install the extension as I have read in some articles, and I even tried to re-login in my macOS and re-connect to iCloud. I get past the iCloud authentication, but then when it asks me for my 1Password Master Vault Password, it is unsuccessful. WAN, nor Dropbox sync were not possible either. Please advise soonest. I rely on this tool on a daily if not hourly basis.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6.4 (664002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sgparr,

Sorry to hear your master password isn't being accepted by 1Password on your Macs! Was that same master password previously working on those Macs, or are you trying to set up 1Password on your Macs for the first time?

If you're setting it up for the first time, it sounds like you choose "Sync with iCloud" from the 'Welcome' screen, then successfully sign into your iCloud account with your Apple ID username and password, and then you're asked for the master password for your 1Password vault in iCloud. Is that what happens, and is that the point at which it rejects your master password?

If you are sure you're entering the correctly master password on your Mac, there are tips in this support article which might help: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

Let us know how it all goes, as well as the answers to my questions above. Thanks! :)

• sgparr
    sgparr
    Community Member
    Options

The account was previously setup on my Mac and is/was using the same password as my other devices.
    In your second paragraph, you have it correct - I choose sync with iCloud, get signed in, it asks for my 1Password account and then its rejected.
    I'm positive that I'm using the correct password as I retrieve it and cut and paste it from another secure source the same way every time.
    I can look at the link you sent, unless you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @sgparr!

Is your master password working on one Mac (where you had already been using 1Password), but not the other one (where you're trying to set it up for the first time)? I'm not sure I understand if this problem is happening on both Macs or just one. If it's also a problem on the Mac where it was previously working, are you able to unlock the app with your master password, but you can't re-enable sync with iCloud?

In either case, you can try resetting the 1Password sync data in iCloud to see if that helps (this will only reset the 1Password data in iCloud, and won't affect the local 1Password data on each device). Here are the steps to do that:

On an iOS device (either one):

• Open 1Password and go to Settings.
    • Scroll down and tap Advanced, then scroll down and tap Erase iCloud Data (confirm you want to Reset iCloud Data).
    • Once you see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled, tap OK.
    • Go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Start Syncing > Sync with iCloud.
    • Tap Add to iCloud to begin syncing.
    • Allow the sync to complete (this will take longer than a normal sync because it has to re-upload your entire vault to iCloud).

On your other iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary. You should get an error once it sees the old sync data was removed from iCloud (which is expected), and you'll need to re-enable sync with iCloud again.

On your Macs, try again to sync with iCloud (if one of the Macs was already syncing with iCloud, you'll need to re-enable it in 1Password > Preferences > Sync). Hopefully this time it will accept your master password, but if not, you should definitely check out the suggestions in the link from my last message above. Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. :)

• sgparr
    sgparr
    Community Member
    Options

First off, clarification on your question above:

I'm not sure I understand if this problem is happening on both Macs or just one. If it's also a problem on the Mac where it was previously working, are you able to unlock the app with your master password, but you can't re-enable sync with iCloud?

The problem is happening with both MACs.
    The 1Password application was previously working and able to be opened by my master password.

I followed your directions deleting the iCloud data, and re-syncing the iOS device. It successfully deleted and re-synced. I then attempted once again to return to the 1Password app, login and sync with iCloud. I successfully logged into iCloud and then was prompted for my 1Password Master Password. It wouldn't accept. Additionally, i attempted to navigate to the 1Password > Preferences > Sync - but it was greyed out and not an option.

• I then attempted once again to return to the 1Password app, login and sync with iCloud. I successfully logged into iCloud and then was prompted for my 1Password Master Password.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? Where did you login to iCloud? Where were you prompted for your 1Password Master Password?

Rick

• willemlarsen
    willemlarsen
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening to me too. I have copy pasted from text editor, changed it to the same password, but still, can only get in to iOS 1password not Mac.

• Hi @willemlarsen ,

Does your password contain quotation marks (either single or double)? If so, make sure the text editor you copied it to didn't have "Smart Quotes" turned on. Other wise straight quotes may have been converted into “curly” quotes.

If you Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu, and then start 1Password again, does your Master Password work then?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• K0ekelinus
    K0ekelinus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. Master password stops working on OSX app, but works fine on iOS devices (iPhone and iPad). Am syncing via iCloud. Have tried reinstall of OSX app and that worked briefly, but the problem keeps reoccurring.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @K0ekelinus,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble with your master password in 1Password on your Mac! If you haven't already done so, please make sure you try the suggestions here: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

Let us know how it goes and if any of those tips help. If it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.