1PW on a desktop of my choosing ? 1PW does not obey

Options
lasllcap
lasllcap
Community Member

I am unable to get 1PW to obey my requirement that it open on desktop 1 . When selecting "this desktop" under options from the 1PW icon on the menu bar, regardless of which desktop is "this Desktop" it always chooses to open on desktop 2. I cant figure it out.

1Password Version: 6.6.4 (build #664001)
Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lasllcap,

Just to make sure I understand, are you opening the main 1Password app (by clicking its icon in the Dock) while looking at Desktop 1, but when it launches, your screen switches to Desktop 2 and the 1Password app window appears there?

If so, is the 1Password window in full screen mode by any chance? Apps in full screen mode will be in their own space, much like Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc (although it should no longer be in full screen mode once you quit and reopen it, so I'm not sure that would explain this behavior).

If you right-click the 1Password icon in the Dock and choose Options > None, then switch to Desktop 1, and then open the app again, does it open in Desktop 1, or does it still switch to Desktop 2? Out of curiosity, what happens if you change that setting to All Desktops? (The app window should appear on both Desktop 1 and Desktop 2 in that case - is that what happens?)

If it still doesn't work correctly, try rebooting your Mac. Once it restarts, make sure you're looking at Desktop 1 and try launching the main 1Password app again. Does it make any difference?

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thanks, Drew -
    Paragraph 1 - absolutely, that's the basic problem; it does not matter which desktop is active when launched (there are 6)
    Paragraph 2 - Not in in full screen.
    Additional info: right clicking 1PW dock icon while in desktop 4 , for example, options indicate desktop 1 is selected.
    Right clicking 1PW dock icon while in desktop 1 , for example, options indicate "this desktop" is selected.
    Right clicking 1PW dock icon while in desktop 2 and 1PW is open, options indicate desktop 1 is selected.
    Paragraph 3 - investigating.
    Paragraph 4 - no joy.
    side note - the icon in dock is not the app itself but a copy; everything works but this .

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lasllcap,

Thanks for the additional information. That's definitely strange, I haven't heard of this happening before. I'm curious about the results of testing the 'None' and 'All Desktops' options, let us know how that goes once you try it.

side note - the icon in dock is not the app itself but a copy; everything works but this .

All the icons in the Dock are shortcuts which point to the actual app files - is that what you mean, or are you saying the 1Password icon in the Dock is pointing to a copy of the original app file?

Here's something else you can try to see if it helps:

1. Open the main 1Password app, then hold down the control key and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    2. Drag the 1Password icon out of the Dock to remove it.
    3. Make sure you're looking as Desktop 1.
    4. Open the Applications folder, find the 1Password app, and drag it back into the Dock.
    5. Click the 1Password icon in the Dock.

When the 1Password launches, does it still switch to Desktop 2?

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member
    Options

OOOOOH, I will try this after the tblsht steps in previous post; this sounds good.
    The dock icon is a shortcut
    R

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully that helps. Let us know how it all goes! :)

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member
    Options

Well . . .
    From 21 APR - paragraph 3 : A) Select NONE; still opens on 2 B) Select "ALL DSKTP" ; only opens on 2. Para. 4 : No change
    Now . . .
    The 24 APR note : Yup; still # 2

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Update:
    So after posting above I went back and clicked the main 1PW window closed ( red Button).
    Checked the options on the icon and found it set (not by me) to window 2.
    Changed it back to "this desktop" and clicked on option>open and there it was on desktop 1.
    Interestingly, the time it takes to open on desktop 1 is about the same as the time it took to open while switching desktops.

Thanks, Roger

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, @lasllcap! I'm glad to hear it finally opened on Desktop 1, although I don't know why it wasn't doing that before, or what changed. It sounds like you should be all set now, but if you need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.