Login from other categories

Options
skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Hello,
I have a number of Rewards Cards (too many in fact). I have used 1Password to put in my membership details, email address, account numbers, PINs, contact numbers, etc., etc. in Reward Program items.

The Membership programs almost always have an associated web site to manage, view and use your membership.
So, I have a Login item for the everyone of the above items as well.

There are four members in my family, and the also have memberships for some of the same places (e.g. frequent flyer miles).
And thus, I also have a Reward Program item and Login item for all of them too.

For one program, I then end up having eight (8) 1Password items to deal with.

If something changes like an account number, registered email, etc. I might have to change all of these affected items.
Or when I am chatting to some support personnel and they need to know my Login ID or membership number, I end up having to look in two different items.
Or I'm moving or copying items between vaults, I need to remember to move both the Login item and all the other related items in other categories.

In my Rewards items I can add any other field that I want, like websites, usernames and passwords.

My questions…
1. Why do I have to have multiple items for basically the same thing?
2. Why can't I elect to show Reward Programs with passwords, emails, websites in Safari or other browsers so that I only need to have, in my example, four (4) items instead the eight (8)?
3. Why can't any type of item, regardless of its type; be it Reward Programs, Memberships, Credit Cards, Bank Accounts; if the item has a URL, password and username field, see it in 1Password mini and 1Password extension and use it to login and consolidate these redundant items?

At the very least (or maybe even better still…)
I should be able to link related items together, so that can act and be viewed together and also moved/copied together.
An example is the Contacts/Address Book in macOS where you can link contacts of the same name, but on different email accounts together. You view them as one item and if you change one, you change both.
1Password could do the same and be able to show the linked item in both Login and Reward Program/Membership/etc.

This I think would be the idea solution and it would give you the flexibility to unlink the items if you no longer want them to show in both places.

1Password Version: 664001
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox/1Password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @skippingrock,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your thoughts and feedback about this! Just to explain a bit about why it currently works the way it does: There are three 'special' item categories in 1Password (Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards) which are designed to work with the 1Password extension to fill specific types of forms on websites. The other categories (such as Memberships and Reward Programs) are basically templates made to store different types of information which isn't commonly used to fill web forms.

Although you might manage a certain membership or reward program through a website, the website account you created is really a different type of account than the membership/reward program you're managing, even if both accounts are closely associated with each other. For example, I have some reward program cards that aren't associated with a website account, and most of the accounts I have on websites aren't associated with a reward program card. Because a website account and a membership/reward program are different things used for different purposes, they have different item categories in 1Password.

However, I understand why it might be convenient to have membership/reward program details and website login credentials in the same item, and you can certainly do that if you'd like. The best way would be to add custom fields in your Login item where you can copy the information from a Membership or Reward Program item. That Login item will still work to fill your username/password on the website, and will also have the information specific to the membership/reward program you manage from that site.

Alternately, if you have a 1Password.com account, you can use the Related Items feature to link different items to each other. When editing an item in an account vault, click the Link Existing button (near the bottom of the item details) and choose another item in that vault. You can do the same from that other item so they both link to each other. When you view one, you can easily jump to the other by clicking the link in the item details.

Having said all that, I'm sure there are probably some improvements we can make here, and we definitely appreciate you sharing your ideas with us! Hopefully my information above helps to answer your questions, but please let us know if you have more. :)

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

There is a Related Items feature? I was asking along those lines in my last paragraph.
    Where can I not find this feature in the apps? Is this an online-only feature?
    How do we view/create Related Items in the 1Password applications?

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

I found Related Items. It's only in my items that are stored on 1Password.com… which is not much I'm pretty much sticking with Dropbox until we can have the power to be able to purge on-demand all back-ups of deleted items.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that this type of feature has been asked for a while though.
    For at least seven years!

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58053/combine-bank-account-entry-and-bank-logins

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, the way Related Items works currently in 1P.com is not really ideal.
    They are uni-directional and there isn't a way to view them all together in a merged entry.
    I guess I could tag all the related stuff and use that, but that still doesn't enhance the user experience.

If something is linked as a Related Item, I should be able to continue scrolling down the item's window and see the Related Item details shown "in-line", you just keep scrolling down and see the next linked item. Like how Tumblr or, more precisely, how Pinterest scrolls on related items.

The other reason why I don't like to use my 1Password.com account for a lot of things is how it handles linking to Documents.
    You click the link to the document and it loads that item, but then you have no way to get back to the original because you can't even manually link back to the Document's "owner" item. So if you want to go back you have to search for it again.

So, Related Items should be bi-directional and they should be viewable in-line by scrolling down to view frames containing each of the linked items.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @skippingrock,

Thanks for your feedback on all that! As you noticed, the Related Items feature is only available for items in 1Password.com account vaults. If you're still using local/standalone vaults, you can use Tags to group different items together.

I agree that Documents should support Related Items so they can link back to the item they're associated with. I'm not sure why that wasn't included in Documents items, but we have an open ticket for that feature request and I'll be happy to add your comments to it. Likewise, I'll add your comments to our open ticket/request to have related items automatically link to each other (instead of having to do that manually to each one). Our developers would definitely like to make improvements to Documents and Related Items in general, and perhaps they'll even consider re-working those features to make them more convenient and easier to use.

I really like the way it works in your ideas and examples, thank you for those! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

ref: OPB-515, OPM-4303

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG You are welcome.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• pwm
    pwm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Linking items to logins is a elegant way of solving @skippingrock's issue. It allows you to have many-to-one relationships, for example I can have multiple bank accounts that all link to the same login. I would also like to request bi-directional as a feature. I never create uni-directional links. Maybe you can have a check box when creating a link to make it bi-directional. Is there a publicly accessible ticket tracker? How can we track feature requests, like the issue with linking from documents to other items?

• Hi @pwm,

Bi-directional linking would be neat. We've not been quite satisfied with the couple ideas we've had for how to implement them though.

As far as I'm concerned, the inability to link from a Document to another item is simply a bug. We need to fix that one up.

Rick

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

Looking forward to the ability.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're not alone! ;)

This discussion has been closed.