Can we anchor 1Password to the browser window, PLEASE?

I have two external monitors and the MacBook's screen. When I use the key combo to open 1P to log into a site, the 1P window opens up in the last location. This can be on a different screen, at the top of the screen, at the bottom of the screen, etc. I believe it used to be anchored to the top right of the browser window... Can we go back to that, please? It should be anchored to the 1P button IMO, but just standardizing where it appears is more important that WHERE it appears.

(Mac, Chrome)

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

When you use the keyboard shortcut, 1Password doesn't have a way to know where the toolbar button is in the browser. Your browser windows move all over and detecting the button's position isn't reliably possible. When you click the toolbar button, we anchor the popup to your mouse cursor, which should be at the toolbar button, so it appears anchored there. We've experimented with a few different approaches over the year, and so far remembering the window's last position has proven to be the most sensible for the most users. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but what you're seeing is indeed the intended behavior right now. We may revisit this in the future, but right now I don't have any concrete plans to share.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• TechDaddyK
    TechDaddyK
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Jamie. That makes sense and, while I don't like the window's behavior, at least I now understand it. Hopefully you'll be able to change the behavior in the future.

Thanks again for making a great product and offering great support to go with it!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @TechDaddyK,

Like yourself I find that at least if I understand the reason behind something it helps soften the blow a bit even if I still don't agree. We used to this option where the menu would snap to the middle of the screen and when it was in this mode it should follow the screen with focus. I tested just now and can't get 1Password to do this so we must have removed this at some point and I didn't realise. I believe we had a number of reports where it was quite flaky though and so I think it's been removed because we couldn't ever get it to behave properly. Hopefully there will be something we can do better here at some point in the future :smile:

This discussion has been closed.