Chrome- Browser Could Not Be Verified

I just started have this issue. I checked and Chrome is up to date. I made sure that I had the beta extension installed. I restarted the browser and the computer. It's still there. What are my next steps to resolve this issue?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@allsea,

are you using 1Password 6.8.BETA-2? and is Chrome in /Applications?

Rudy

• Same problem here,

Chrome version: Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit)
    Installed under: ~/Applications

Latest 1P Beta

• I am using 6.8 Beta and the Chrome app is in my apps folder. What I found though was that if I opened the 1Pass application (from my applications folder), the message went away.

Problem solved.

Thanks for your quick reply!

• Same problem after having just updated to 6.8.BETA-2 on my Mac this morning... I tried shutting down 1Pass and restarting from the Applications folder and that did nothing.

In either Chrome or Canary, if I remove the 1Pass extension, then go to "Add Chrome extension" via the 1Pass menubar option, it installs the extension (which is unrecognized, won't work) and then immediately opens up a window saying I need to install the extension (even though it just did) from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions?process_bundle_id=com.google.Chrome.canary. Even if I follow through with the second install, I get an extension where "Browser cannot be verified"

Any help would be appreciated!

• Oops... I spoke too soon: the 1Pass extension is now recognized in Chrome stable, but not in Canary. And sorry, misread: yes, both Chrome and Canary are installed in /Applications

• I am having this same issue as well. 1Password (non-MAS-version) 6.8.BETA-2, Chrome Canary v60.0.3, and the beta browser extension.

Cannot get the browser verified no matter how many times I uninstall and re-install the extension.

Both 1Password and Chrome Canary are in different sub-folders of /Applications. Since I am not running a MAS version of the app, and how I organize my application folders should be my business, I don't see how this should be an issue.

Please advise how to get communication working again between 1Password and Chrome Canary. Thanks.

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@armen52,

Subfolders of /Applications shouldn't have any impact on it. Is 1Password itself in a folder rooted with /Applications as well?

Rudy

• @rudy yes. 1Password is located in /Applications/Applets. Chrome Canary is located in /Applications/Internet.

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@armen52,

Copy ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts to ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome Canary/NativeMessagingHosts

Rudy

• EnerJiEnerJi Community Moderator
    edited May 8

Hi @rudy, is there any resolution to this issue? I'm running Chrome (stable) for Mac and today I started seeing a "Browser could not be verified" issue in the mini-1Pw. I was running the last 6.7 Beta (I was holding onto the "remember search" feature hoping it would make a quick return in a 6.8 beta) and figured I just needed to update 1Password. However, after updating to the latest beta, the issue persists.

MacOs 10.11.6
    Chrome 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit)
    1Password 6.8 Beta 2
    1Password Chrome Extension Beta 4.6.5.3

Both Chrome and 1Password are in /Applications
    Have checked for Chrome and 1Pw updates and they are both up-to-date. Have restarted Chrome multiple times. Have rebooted my Mac.

Suggestions?

Edit: Results of the codesign command requested in a different thread:

codesign --verify --verbose=4 /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/: resource envelope is obsolete (custom omit rules)

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@EnerJi,

There is a pending possible fix waiting for security review before it can be part of a future beta. Another thing to try is see what happens if you grab a fresh copy of Chrome from their download page. codesign --verify --verbose likes to give up on evaluating the binary when it encounters the custom omit rules, so its less useful than i wish it were.

Rudy

@rudy

Hmmm, I'd love to try a fresh Chrome install, but I have about 60-70 tabs open and I'm afraid of losing them in the process. (I probably could try to copy over the tab history file to the new installation, but I'd prefer not to mess with it.)

Hopefully the next beta fixes the issue, and hopefully it comes soon.

• @rudy FYI, copying that native messaging hosts folder from the Chrome app support folder to the one for Chrome Canary resolve the issue. Now 1Password is again able to verify Chrome Canary and fill out forms in it.

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@EnerJi,

I didn't mean to suggest you wipe out all the settings for Chrome, but that's fine too. I have enough information at this point to know that some browsers just aren't going to pass the static signature check that we want to do with Native Messaging.

Rudy

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member
    edited May 8

@EnerJi: Same here with the tabs. I think we should start a support group. :tongue:

@armen52: Thanks for letting us know that helped at least. We'll figure out ways to improve this. :)

• grahamsgrahams Junior Member

Just as another datapoint: I have Chrome installed in ~/Applications/Google Chrome.app (via Homebrew Cask)
    and I get the error message. I've tried reinstalling Chrome to no avail.

section36:[~]$ codesign --verify --verbose=4 ~/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/
    /Users/grahams/Applications/Google Chrome.app/: resource envelope is obsolete (custom omit rules)
    section36:[~]$ brew cask uninstall google-chrome
    ==> Uninstalling Cask google-chrome
    ==> Removing App '/Users/grahams/Applications/Google Chrome.app'.
    section36:[~]$ brew cask install google-chrome
    ==> Satisfying dependencies
    complete
    ==> Downloading https://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/stable/GGRO/googlechrome.dmg
    ######################################################################## 100.0%
    ==> No checksum defined for Cask google-chrome, skipping verification
    ==> Installing Cask google-chrome
    ==> Moving App 'Google Chrome.app' to '/Users/grahams/Applications/Google Chrome

@rudy @brenty

Update: I tried installing the "stable" Chrome 1Password extension on a whim, and lo and behold, it's working now - I'm no longer getting the browser could not be verified error.

I notice that the "stable" extension is version 4.6.5.90, and the "beta" extension is version 4.6.5.3. Did the beta extension miss an update?

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@EnerJi,

It looks like its errantly still displaying 4.6.5b3 in the feed after the 4.6.5 release went out.

Rudy

• littlebobbytableslittlebobbytables

AgileBits Team Member

@EnerJi,

What we used to do in the past was after releasing a new stable we would then go through all the steps to release a new beta that was identical to not just the latest stable but also the last beta. It seemed a bit wasteful so we leave the last beta, which is identical to the stable, up until we actually have new stuff ready for a real beta. Both should work though so I'm not sure why that would make a difference. Of course I also can't argue with results :wink:

@littlebobbytables @rudy,

Given what you said, I decided to try going back to the beta extension (I went to chrome://extensions, unchecked the button to disable the "stable" version and checked the button to enable the "beta" version), and lo and behold, 1Password Mini is still working. I even restarted Chrome afterwards to verify, and still seems to be working fine.

Very strange! Please let me know if I can assist with any additional troubleshooting.

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member
    edited May 9

@EnerJi,

I suspect what you actually saw was the chrome extension still trying to connect over web sockets, and now its actually using NativeMessaging. Chrome based browsers are currently disallowed from connecting over web sockets in 6.8.BETA-2.

You can confirm this by the presence of a running copy of OnePasswordNativeMessageHost when Chrome is running.

Rudy

@rudy

Hmmm, I do indeed have that service running, and I am running 6.8 Beta-2. However, all I changed was the Chrome extension - I'm still confused as to why it stopped working a couple of days ago, and why it's suddenly working again. I don't recall exactly, but it might have stopped working when I updated Chrome recently? Could that have anything to do with it?

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member
    edited May 9

@EnerJi

Chrome's code signature expired on 4/27, so if you had been running anything older than 1Password 6.7 then that might explain why it stopped working. When they renewed their certificate it didn't match what it should have been so the release we put out back in February with the new signature in it wasn't sufficient for it to match.

That combined with your update to 6.8 left you in a middle state where it was still trying to connect via WebSockets until you relaunched Chrome after having launched 6.8. 6.8 writes a file to Chrome's ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/ folder but if chrome is already running when the file gets created it doesn't consult it for subsequent connections.

Rudy

• bmybmy
    edited May 10

I'm still having this issue and it's absolutely paralyzing. I've done everything outlined in this thread but using beta still prompts me to update to stable, and using stable also endlessly prompts an update to itself. I've done every combination of disabling/removing either or both extensions, installing just one, etc. For what it's worth I don't believe I see the process you described (in neither Activity Monitor nor the Chrome Task Manager. Please hellllllp! :)

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@bmy,

Extension addition or removal will pretty likely have no impact on this at all. If you're using Chrome proper i would probably suggest downloading a fresh copy of Chrome that hasn't been modified by their live update mechanism and see if that is able to run.

Another option would be to revert back to 6.7.1 for the time being. Now would be the time to do that as one of the next 6.8 updates will have a database schema change that will prevent you from simply launching 6.7.1. (the dreaded "you need a newer version of 1Password to use your database" error message).

Rudy

• bmybmy
    edited May 10

@rudy sorry no i'm on canary. i'm on beta channel for 1p app because i thought it was recommended for canary users (otherwise it would break all the time iirc)...if you're recommending rolling back to 6.7.1 even though i use canary let me know and i'll try it. thanks for your help!!!

• And crazily, on another Mac, with the 1Password Beta installed (6.8.BETA-2 (680002)), the situation is reversed: the Chrome Canary extension works as expected but the Chrome stable extension doesn't... when I go to install the Chrome stable extension, it installs and immediately tells me I need to update the extension. When I do that, same thing: it installs fine but the authorization step fails to happen and the browser cannot be verified.

And yeah, both Chrome and Canary are also in /Applications on this computer, too.

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member
    edited May 11

@bmy

Canary installs its NativeMessaging JSON file into a different location than Chrome. You would need to copy the JSON file and/or make the folder to put it in (since canary doesn't create the folder by default).

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome Canary/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json

from

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json

Rudy

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@joeyconnick

I've split you off from the prior unrelated conversation due to your using 6.8.BETA-2. You'll want to read my responses in this thread to get a handle on Canary and Chrome under 6.8.BETA-2.

Rudy

• @rudy okay, thanks... doing the copy you describe immediately above has solved my issue with the beta