To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Account info for 1P on PC, previously only opened via mac app store so haven't required account info

Options
vels
vels
Community Member

I purchased a family account for 1password via the mac app store, so far ive only needed to install it on Mac. But we now have 1 PC in the house.

I downloaded the 1password applicaiton for widnows10 and installed it on the PC, when i open it, it asks for account details, but im not sure where i would find them as when i installed via the mac app store, it just worked the first time i opened the application. Any ideas ?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @vels! I’m sorry for the confusion about an account. Since you made a one-time purchase of 1Password in the Mac App Store, you didn't get an account. 1Password accounts are part of subscriptions, which have automatic sync between your devices, access to 1Password anywhere, and an account to access everything. You can create one to get the benefits accounts include, or you can keep using 1Password as you always have.

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you'd like to use a 1Password account, feel free to create one, move your existing data over, and invite your family. We'd be happy to help you get started with things, and if you recently purchased 1Password feel free to send us an email at support+forum@1password.com. We can look into some credit for your recent purchase :)

• dexbeef1
    dexbeef1
    Community Member
    Options

In answering the OP's question, it would have been nice to mention that they can still use 1Password **without ** a subscription.

@vels in newer versions of 1Password (ie 6), Agile have made it rather difficult to access "local vaults". You have to tick a setting in the advanced menu to get to it show up. If you use (or downgrade to) 1password 4 then you can easily access shared vaults on dropbox or icloud and have your data shared locally (with automatic sync) on your devices, and available anywhere from your own managed cloud - ie dropbox/icloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In answering the OP's question, it would have been nice to mention that they can still use 1Password **without ** a subscription.

@dexbeef1: If they didn't purchase 1Password 4, they can't, so that wouldn't have been helpful.

@vels in newer versions of 1Password (ie 6), Agile have made it rather difficult to access "local vaults". You have to tick a setting in the advanced menu to get to it show up. If you use (or downgrade to) 1password 4 then you can easily access shared vaults on dropbox or icloud and have your data shared locally (with automatic sync) on your devices, and available anywhere from your own managed cloud - ie dropbox/icloud.

It isn't difficult to access a local vault in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. However, since it isn't able to write (and therefore sync) local vaults, that isn't particularly applicable to their situation. And while Dropbox is a good option for local vaults, iCloud sync (CloudKit) isn't available on Windows. I don't blame Jacob for not mentioning all of this, as it's a bit confusing, even if you've been using 1Password for a long time.

• vels
    vels
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone, as this is a 'second' computer which is infrequently used id like to just sync via dropbox and not have to purchase a separate account.

It isn't difficult to access a local vault in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. However, since it isn't able to write (and therefore sync) local vaults, that isn't particularly applicable to their situation.

Why wouldnt i be able to write to the local vault ?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @vels - On behalf of Brenty & Jacob you're very welcome. The standalone license that you purchased is only compatible with macOS and will not work on Windows. We're no longer selling a standalone license for Windows so this is why Jacob mentioned signing up for a 1Password membership.

1Password 6 for Windows is only compatible with a subscription account at this time. There is no support for local vaults. I hope this helped and sorry for not having a better answer for you. If you want to test drive a 1Password membership, we're running a promotion giving you an extended free trial period. I'll be happy to help you get started if you're interested :smile: Let us know if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to help out.

This discussion has been closed.