Cannot re-install Chrome extension - Windows 10, Chrome Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit)

After installing the Chrome browser extension, I found that auto login still did not work. After reading your help documents, I started following the remediation steps (uninstall the extension, reboot, re-install, etc). After removing the extension using the "trash can icon" in Chrome, I restarted the PC and verified it was not there. Then I tried to re-install the extension and received an error message in the browser page: "An error has occurred. Please try again or contact us for assistance."

I've tried rebooting the PC again and installing the extension resulting in the same error, so now I'm reaching out for help. Note that I just singed up for my 3- trial yesterday, and I have yet to use 1Password to access anything successfully. Hoping to get it working for myself so that I can branch out to sharing with my wife, then my kids. Thanks!

James

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: Chrome
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot re-install Chrome extension - Windows 10, Chrome Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit)

Comments

• henderholt
    henderholt
    Community Member

Using this article to try to solve my issues getting browser extension to work: https://support.1password.com/firewall-proxy/ This article indicates that if previous steps don't work, I may need to add the TCP loopback address 127.0.0.1 to the proxy exceptions. I tried this, but upon entering that IP address and saving, Windows throws an error saying that proxy setting is not valid and will not let me save it. It seems like a bit of a hack to make this change anyway. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
    Extension Version: Chrome
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Reconfiguring local proxy in Windows 10 to enable browswer extension

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@henderholt: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It won't be Windows that you'll need to configure for that exception. Now that is a hack, since 127.0.0.1/localhost traffic is meant to stay within your system, and blocking communications there doesn't offer any benefit. Windows simply won't this, only 3rd party software that's interfering.

However, it doesn't sound like this is directly related to the problem you're actually having. If you're unable to install the browser extension, 1Password can't help with that; rather, something else on your system is preventing it from being installed. Do you have "security" software that may be interfering?

Once we've figured that out, we can take a look at the issue you were having in the first place, which I'm not entirely clear on. 1Password won't "auto login", as it only fills login credentials when you tell it to (using the toolbar button or Ctrl \ keyboard shortcut), but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Let the know what you find! :)

• henderholt
    henderholt
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for your reply. Based on your advice I'll ignore the loopback step. Here's new information: After adding firewall rules and an exception for your app, I was able to install the Chrome browser extension successfully, but the save new login option was not available after navigating to my site and typing in my username and password then Ctrl + . So I shutdown for the night. Toady I tried a again and the save new login option was enabled and appeared to save as a new item in my selected vault. However, when I go back to the site login and use Ctrl + \, a new tab opens in my browser to the login, but I'm not logged in. What did I do wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty thanks for your reply. Based on your advice I'll ignore the loopback step. Here's new information: After adding firewall rules and an exception for your app, I was able to install the Chrome browser extension successfully,

@henderholt: That's good to hear! Just out of curiosity, which firewall software are you using? It may be something we need to investigate further in case it affects other 1Password users as well.

but the save new login option was not available after navigating to my site and typing in my username and password then Ctrl + . So I shutdown for the night.

Ctrl \ shouldn't do anything when you don't have any logins saved for the site, so I'm not sure we're on the same page here. When you login to a website, the 1Password extension can offer to save it for you (if it doesn't already have it). Alternatively, you can manually save a new login following these steps:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Toady I tried a again and the save new login option was enabled and appeared to save as a new item in my selected vault. However, when I go back to the site login and use Ctrl + \, a new tab opens in my browser to the login, but I'm not logged in. What did I do wrong?

I'm not entirely sure of the exact steps you're taking, but this is generally how it should work:

1. Go to a website for which you have a login saved in 1Password
    2. When you encounter a login form, press Ctrl \
    3. If 1Password has a single login with a matching URL (for example, amazon.com), it will fill it
    4. If 1Password has more than one matching login, you'll be presented with them to select from before 1Password fills
    5. If you have no matching logins saved in 1Password, it will do nothing

I hope that helps. If you're still having trouble, let me know where you're getting stuck, and the Chrome and extension versions you have installed. Thanks in advance! :)

• henderholt
    henderholt
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks very much. I'm using Windows Firewall in Windows 10. On the use of Ctrl \ I do have an entry in 1Password for this site. In fact, I've followed the manual steps 3 times. Each time I use these steps:
    1. Delete the previous entry in vault
    2. Navigate to the site login page
    3. Place cursor focus in the username box
    4. Press Ctrl \
    5. 1Password box opens and I use the "save new login" option inside the settings gear
    6. Put focus back in the user name box and type in user name
    7. Type in password
    8. Click the login button on the site page
    9. I'm logged into the site.
    10. Log out
    11. Reopen the site login page
    12. Press Ctrl \
    13. Nothing happens.

I've also tried these steps:
    1. Navigate to the site login page
    2. enter username and password
    3. Press Ctrl \
    4. 1Password box opens
    5. Select save new login from gear
    6. Nothing happens

I can't tell if I'm using the wrong steps of if 1Password isn't working.

• henderholt
    henderholt
    Community Member

@brenty Update for you. I realized that when I use the save new login option from the running Windows app for 1Password, the web login saves to my vault. However, when I click the browser extension in Chrome and select save new login, it does not. So the browser plug in is not working. In addition, even though the entry for the site is saved in a vault in the Windows app, I can't figure out how to log into the site manually or automatically using 1Password.

• henderholt
    henderholt
    Community Member

@brenty OK, I think I figured it out (sigh...this was way more difficult than I hoped, to be honest). I think my problem is that Edge was my default browser choice in Windows 10. When I switched my default browser to Chrome, everything started to work properly. I don't recall seeing that requirement in your setup and config or your support and help documents. If that's true, I suggest adding that as one of the steps for Chrome browser extension install and setup as well as in the troubleshooting article. I've been working on this every night for 3 nights trying to get it working before trying to get my family to use it. I almost gave up. Anyway, I appreciate your dedication to help me and your polite, friendly words. It kept me going. Some last customer feedback for you: I use Edge as my preferred and default browser all the time. My experience after 3 days of scouring your setup and help content is that you're optimized for Safari. Chrome is a second class citizen and my 2nd choice in browser. While I hope my family who use Safari will be fine with 1Password so I can go ahead with a 1 year subscription once my trial ends, we do have Internet Explorer users (and of course, me with Edge) in the home. Right now I have to choose between 1Password and Edge. I would be much happier if Edge was supported. By the way, I recognize that Edge might not be technically compatible for some reason, but I hope that you'd make that clear to Microsoft and certainly do everything you can to support it securely. I will definitely provide my feedback to Microsoft if Edge is somehow deficient. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@henderholt: Ah, that's it. Thanks for letting me know. Indeed, in order for 1Password to fill a login in your web browser, it has to have the extension installed. So this will work with Chrome. Currently this is not possible with Edge, but you'll be glad to know (and I am too!) that we're already working with Microsoft to support that browser as well. I can't say for certain if and when that will come to fruition, but this is what we're focused on right now. :)

Having Chrome set as the default browser is not required to use 1Password, but of course if you set another browser as the default which does not have the 1Password extension installed, Windows simply opens the web page and 1Password is not available there to do anything further. Chrome is also not a "second class citizen", as it's actually using the same extension that Safari and Firefox have. You probably see some screenshots of Safari on our website since we don't want to duplicate those for every browser. There are some differences between how this works between 1Password for Mac and our new Windows app, but we're working hard to make the experience consistent.

I really like Edge too, and if you wish, you can still keep it as your default with a slight modification to your workflow. This is what I do. I generally use Edge for casual browsing, and occasionally when I want to login to something there, I'll simply press Ctrl Alt \ to bring up 1Password mini, and then right-click an item to copy the password I need. But when I'm in "get stuff done" mode, I use Chrome so I can quickly and easily login to my bank and other important accounts using 1Password. If you're already in Chrome, pressing Ctrl Alt \ and clicking a login can take you there and fill it. Or if you're already at a login page during the course of surfing, Ctrl \ will fill a login there.

I'm really sorry you got off to a rocky start here, but I'm glad I was able to help you stick with it and figure things out. And while you actually figured out what was going on there before I did, if you have questions about anything else I'll do whatever I can to help. :)

• henderholt
    henderholt
    Community Member

@brenty Sweet! I'm glad to hear all this. Thank you for the helpful tips and tricks! Have a great day.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@henderholt: On behalf of Brenty are very welcome! Please reach out to us anytime, we are always ready to help. Have a wonderful day!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.