"1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working" since latest Windows updates

Options
theql
theql
Community Member

Hi everyone!

I've been experiencing some issues with 1Password for Windows lately. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and both the desktop application and the browser extensions used to work just fine. After the latest Windows updates, though, I'm unable to even start 1Password, which crashes with the message "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working". The same happens (repeatedly, actually) whenever I open a browser, presumably because the extension keeps on trying to start the application.

Everytime the error message pops up, two entries are logged in Windows' event logs:

Source: .NET Runtime

Application: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
   at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.InternalWriteEvent(UInt32, UInt16, System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType, System.String[], Byte[], System.String)
   at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.WriteEntry(System.String, System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType, Int32, Int16, Byte[])
   at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(System.String, System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType, Int32, Int16)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventLog.EventLogLogger.WriteMessage(System.String, System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType, Int32)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventLog.EventLogLogger.Log[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogLevel, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventId, System.__Canon, System.Exception, System.Func`3<System.__Canon,System.Exception,System.String>)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Logger.Log[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogLevel, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventId, System.__Canon, System.Exception, System.Func`3<System.__Canon,System.Exception,System.String>)

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Logger.Log[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogLevel, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventId, System.__Canon, System.Exception, System.Func`3<System.__Canon,System.Exception,System.String>)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LoggerExtensions.LogError(Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.ILogger, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventId, System.Exception, System.String, System.Object[])
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.App+<>c.<InitExceptionTracing>b__54_0(System.Object, System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventHandler.Invoke(System.Object, System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchException(System.Exception)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(System.String[])

and

Source: Application Error

Faulting application name: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe, version: 6.5.401.0, time stamp: 0x58e55d10
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23714, time stamp: 0x58bf8a2e
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000001a06d
Faulting process id: 0x1924
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c760b47136c1
Faulting application path: C:\Users\EMondoni\AppData\Local\1password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f48a3d61-3353-11e7-bbb3-f48c50996915

Any clue as to how to sort this out?
Thanks, guys!

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: 1Password for Families Account

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @theql,

Thanks for writing in to report this.

It looks like the crash is coming from a Windows file and it could be related to your Windows Event Log service. Can you restart the service and see if it works? To do this:

1. Press Windows Key + R to bring up the run dialog and enter: services.msc
    2. Scroll down to Windows Event Log service and right click on it to restart it.

Try to open 1Password, does it work? If not, try to reinstall 1Password to see if it will work. You can uninstall 1Password via the Control Panel > Uninstall a program and grab the latest version from here: ,https://1Password.com/downloads/

Let me know if either one helps.

Thanks!

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue and neither of those options fixed anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Drzy: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    Options

So when I open the 1 Password App the screen opens up but is a solid white screen the only things showing are the minimize, full screen and X icons in the top left. Also the 1 Password Logo in the top right corner. In google chrome the 1 Password-Save Login pop up looks the same blank app screen still nothing to click or see. Windows version 1607 OS build 14393.447, 1 password version 6. I cant check the exact version because of the lack of Icons. I have tried both fixes Mike T suggested still same problem. This has started happening just after the last windows update. Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Drzy, do you happen to have Riva Tuner or similar software on your PC? Your issue sounds familiar... Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    Options

Nope only oem drivers and graphics software

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Drzy,

Thank you for getting back to me!

Could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and see how 1Password behaves in there? Here's how:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If it works fine, reboot into regular mode, does 1Password still show up with a white screen? If yes, it is a third party interference. Please let me know if my hunch is correct here. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• theql
    theql
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, @brenty, @Greg: thank you for your answers, and sorry for coming back to you so late.

The situation hasn't changed with the latest Windows updates: whenever I try to open 1Password, no window shows up and after a few seconds I get the error message I described in my original post. I have tried to follow the steps MikeT suggested to no avail, since Windows prevents me from restarting the Windows Event Log service (possibly because I am experiencing these issues on my work PC, so my account might have limited privileges). I have also tried logging into Windows in Safe Mode but the same error persists.

Let me know if anything comes to your mind :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theql: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry you're still experiencing this strange issue! It's definitely helpful to know that this isn't a machine you own, as that at least gives us a sense that you may not know all of the details of the setup and the policies in place. It certainly seems like something just beyond our knowing (and yours) so far (though potentially something just went wrong with the update). However, it's entirely possible that the app and/or its database are damaged. Do you see all of your data when logged into 1Password.com in your browser? If so, we can proceed trying to get you back to a clean slate with the app to see if that helps. Please let me know!

• jasonzheng
    jasonzheng
    Community Member
    Options

I have the similar issue on my PC. The main program doesn't work. When I try to open it, there is just a blank interface without any contents. Several seconds later, the main interface will turn into black. And the extension on my chrome doesn't work either. As I click on the button, nothing happens. My windows vision is win10, 1703, and my chrome vision is 58.0.3029.110.
    The problem really bothers me, and I can only visit the web page to get my passwords. If anything comes to your mind, please inform me. Thanks a lot!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasonzheng,

Thank you for weighing in! I've replied to you in a thread you created. Talk to you there! :chuffed: Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    Options

So I found that disabling my Intel graphics driver fixes the problem. I have a dell Precision 5510 with all the latest drivers and graphics software from Dell. However I need that to use my multiple monitors and dock setup. as soon as I re-enable it the same blank screen issue returns. It is interesting that the last large windows 10 feature update is what started this issue I did not have any problems for months before this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Drzy: Thanks for saying so! This actually isn't the first time I've heard about an issue with Dell drivers this month. Probably not a coincidence. Can you provide any information about the driver, if available?

1. Version number
    2. Release date
    3. Support URL (for driver info and download)

I appreciate that you might not have these, but if you happen to it may help us make sense of this. I'm wondering if they simply need to release an update to work better with the Creators Update. This is what I found searching Google, and while it looks to have been released after the Creators Update, it doesn't specify which versions it is compatible with.

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Version 21.20.16.4627
    3/9/2017

[link removed by AgileBits staff for privacy reasons]

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drzy: Thank you for the info! I will make sure Brenty sees it. :)

Am I right to understand that this is the latest driver version and there is no update for you at this point? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    Options

yes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Drzy: Thanks for sending that. I've removed the link since it included your service tag. Probably not a significant risk, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Weirdly, when I go there on in Windows it doesn't offer me any downloads, but I was able to grab Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver_VD50P_WIN_21.20.16.4627_A09.EXE from another machine. I think that's the one. Here's a link to the driver details page for it:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VD50P&fileId=3674829503&osCode=WT64A&productCode=precision-m5510-workstation&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

Unfortunately I couldn't install it (it says I do not meet the "minimum requirements", probably due to a different chipset), but I'll see if someone else here can test this. Thanks again for the info! :)

• Drzy
    Drzy
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed that driver and rebooted a few times still no change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Drzy: Sorry for not being clearer. I wasn't suggesting you install that. It's the driver you were using already which was causing the issue. Just trying to figure out a way to test it here.

We were able to get it installed but unable to reproduce the issue you're seeing. There are some reported bugs with Windows Presentation Foundation and Intel drivers, so it may be related. Definitely try installing the latest stable drivers directly from Intel, or, failing that, Windows Update. Either way, you may want to report the issue to Intel as well, as it may interest them as they're working on fixes for WPF. We'll see if there's a workaround we can find as well, but display drivers are pretty critical.

• niels_db
    niels_db
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys! Same problem for me since last win10-update! I do not own a Dell-machine! I have a simple desktop-pc with a Geforce GTX 1080, updated drivers ofc...
    Everything works fine on my mac so its definitely the win10-app... I've tried the 'restart Windows Event Log' thing, but windows won't let me do that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@niels_db: If it worked before, it sounds like it isn't the 1Password Windows app, which was last updated in April. It's clear something else has changed though. It may be something we can work around, but it's more likely that it's a driver or OS issue, as it has been with others. Unfortunately there just isn't much else I can say without even some basic information though. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

And grab the Event Viewer logs as well:

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@niels_db: And it may be a good idea to also get these as well, in case 1Password isn't able to collect anything before crashing:

1. Click on Start Menu, search for "Event Viewer" and open it
    2. On the left sidebar, expand "Custom Views" on the top and then click on "Administrative Events"
    3. Reproduce the crash with 1Password
    4. Go back to the Event Viewer, right-click on the list to refresh. You should see errors from the source ".NET Runtime". Right-click on the error to select "Copy > Copy Details as text".
    5. Paste it into a new text file with NotePad and attach it in your next reply.

We'll get to the bottom of this!

This discussion has been closed.