Updated to 1Password 6. Data is old (I see an expired credit card). How to fix?

Suz8
Suz8
Community Member

Updated to 1Password 6 from a 3.something version. My data in the new version is old (I see an expired credit card). It only gives me one backup to restore from and when I do that, it is still the wrong data. I can see other backups (they are .zip files) but they are grayed out and I cannot access them in the 1Password 6 restore window. Please help.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox / now iCloud?
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 6 restored to old backup. need it to restore to new backup.

Comments

• Hi @Suz8,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. We have instructions on migrating from v3 to v6 here:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your iPhone or iPad - 1Password Support

Please give those instructions a try. If you run into difficulties please let me know which step you have problems with and what happens instead of what was expected/described.

Thanks!

Ben

• Suz8
    Suz8
    Community Member

The support article is for upgrading on iPhone or iPad. I haven't upgraded on my iPhone yet. My problem is regarding upgrading on my MacBook. Please advise. I've already deleted the old application, so perhaps that is a major problem? I was following directions for the web browser extensions and it told me to delete the old application. I've paid for the 1Password 6 version, but when I open it, it says I'm still in a trial – when I try to add my license, it wants me to select a file on my computer. This entire process has been confusing. I'm wondering if I'm better off just using Safari keychain. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I'd prefer to continue using this product.

• Ah. My apologies. You posted in our iOS forum so I assumed you were asking about iPhone/iPad. I've moved the question over to our Mac forum so it can get the appropriate eyes on it. :) In the mean time let's see if we can't sort out the license issue at least.

1Password 6 for Mac uses a license file, not a license key like 1Password 3 for Mac used. You can request your license here:

1Password Support

Scroll down to where it says "Can't find your license?" toward the bottom of the page, and input your email address. You'll be emailed any licenses we have on file.

Thanks.

Ben

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Hi @Suz8,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble upgrading to 1Password 6 on your Mac! If I understand, the data in 1Password 6 is older than the date you had in 1Password 3. When you downloaded and opened 1Password 6 for the first time, do you remember if you saw a 'Welcome' screen and went through a brief setup procedure? Or did it immediately ask you for a master password?

If 1Password 6 asked you to unlock it with a master password the first time you opened it, then it sounds like you previously tried using 1Password 4, 5, or 6 on that Mac at some point in the past, and it found your older set of data from that. In that case, it should be easy to get this all sorted out. Even if you deleted the 1Password 3 app, your 1Password 3 data should still be on your Mac. The first thing you'll need to do is reset the 1Password 6 app:

1. Open the 1Password 6 app.
    2. Make sure 1Password 6 is locked - if it isn't, lock it by clicking the padlock in the top right corner of the app window.
    3. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.

After resetting 1Password 6, you'll see the 'Welcome' screen when you launch it again. Click on 'More Options...' and choose 'Search my Mac'. That should find your 1Password 3 data - select that under "Vaults found on your Mac" and click the Use Selected Vault button.

If all goes well, you should have your latest data in 1Password 6 now. But if you have any trouble with that, I'm sure we can figure it out - just let us know what happens and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

ref: PKP-79699-854

• Suz8
    Suz8
    Community Member

Oh my gosh thank you!!! That worked. Yes I posted in the forum after I received an email saying the tech support was busy. Thank you for your help!

I have to say though that I am confused about the new 1Password. I paid $49 for it. What does that do for me? I also see there is a subscription available and I don't know what that is or if I have it. Do I have to pay every year? Also I synced through Dropbox prior to this. Now I understand I can do it through iCloud? Can you direct me to some simple instructions on using the new 1Password 6?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! That's great news @Suz8, I'm happy to hear that worked. :)

Sorry for any confusion about licenses and subscription accounts! It sounds like 1Password 6 is in trial mode, although you previously said you paid for version 6. Do you know when you made that purchase, and if you bought it from our AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store?

Since you had been using 1Password 3 on your Mac, it sounds like you definitely have a license for version 3 (or you purchased it through the Mac App Store). We originally released version 3 way back in 2009, and when we released version 4 in 2013, it was a paid upgrade from earlier versions. However, if you bought 1Password 3 in 2013 (or if you bought it through the Mac App Store), the upgrade to version 4 was free. (And versions 5 and 6 were free upgrades for anyone with a 1Password 4 for Mac license.)

If you bought a license through our AgileBits Store, you can have your license info resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site, and the email you receive will confirm when the purchase was made and which version you have a license for.

Or if you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, you'll need to reinstall the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Just launch the Mac App Store, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase, and reinstall 1Password from the 'Purchased' section. When you open it for the first time and see the 'Welcome' screen, click 'More Options...' and choose 'Search my Mac' so it can find your data from the AgileBits Store version.

If it turns out you purchased a 1Password 3 for Mac license from our web store prior to 2013, you can upgrade by signing up for a 1Password.com account. That's a new subscription service we introduced last year, and it makes all of this much easier because you don't need to keep track of any licenses, it lets you use the latest version of 1Password on all supported platforms, future upgrades are included at no additional cost, and you don't need to configure any sync settings. There are also many other benefits, and you can read more about all that here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you decide not to sign up for a 1Password.com account, you can certainly choose to sync your data via iCloud in 1Password 6. We have steps to set that up here: How to sync 1Password with iCloud

That's a lot of information to digest, but since I'm not entirely sure what license you currently have or what you already purchased, I wanted to mention the different possibilities. Once we figure out what you previously bought (and when/where you bought it), we'll be able to be more specific about your options now. Thanks in advance! :)

• Suz8
    Suz8
    Community Member

Hello again. I purchased a family license from agilebits.com I have the license number so getting it is not the problem. My problem now is that the "trial" has run out and I can't figure out how to add the license. When I click on Add License, it opens a window in my downloads folder, like it wants me to locate a file. Why can't I add a license? I've also thought maybe I need to do it from an email receipt, so I've tried putting in my email address on agile bits to have them resend the license, but then I don't receive an email. Is there a human I can call at this company to sort this out for me? I know my license number so I'm sure it can be looked up.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Hi @Suz8,

It sounds like you have a license code/number for 1Password 3 for Mac. To activate 1Password 6, you'll need either a 1Password.com account, or a 1Password 4/5/6 license. A license for 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac is an actual file, which is why you see that dialog when you click on 'Add License'. Please take a look at this article for more information: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

1Password 4/5/6 for Mac was a paid upgrade from earlier versions, unless you bought the license for version 3 in 2013. Assuming your purchased your license from our AgileBits Store, you should be able to have your license info resent to you from this section of the above knowledgebase article. If you don't receive an email after that, it probably means that email address couldn't be found in our records. If you think you may have made a purchase under a different email address, you can try submitting that address instead.

If you only have a license for 1Password 3 but not 4/5/6, your best option is to sign up for a 1Password.com account, which lets you use/activate the 1Password app on all supported platforms and includes future upgrades at no extra cost. We explain more about that here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Hopefully that helps - please let us know what you're able to find. Thanks!

• Suz8
    Suz8
    Community Member

Is there a phone number to speak to someone directly?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

Hi @Suz8,

We're a fairly small team and don't have the means to provide phone support, so we try our best to solve problems via forums or email. However, if you'd prefer not to use these public forums, or if we need any information to help find your license information (like an email address, receipt, etc) that shouldn't be posted publicly, please email us at support@agilebits.com (include a link to this forum discussion and your forum username so we can "connect the dots").

Once you've sent the email, feel free to reply here with the Support ID number you receive in the automated reply from our BitBot assistant so we can track down your message.

Thanks! :)

• Suz8
    Suz8
    Community Member

I sent an email to the address you suggested. I received an automated reply back. [#JLR-34443-266] Unable to upgrade since purchase on May 9, 2017

• Thanks, @Suz8. We received your email and will be back with you shortly.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.