Google Chrome auto-fill is not working

Options

I've been getting the error below when trying to auto-fill for about a week now, restarting Chrome has made no difference. I am running 1Password 4.4.3 on OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks. Chrome version is 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit) - latest, and 1Password Chrome extension version is 4.6.5.90 - also latest.

Cannot Fill Item in Google Chrome
Google Chrome is connected but its code signature could not be verified.  Filling and other features are disabled until configuration issue is resolved.
This usually happens if Google Chrome is in the middle of an update. Please try to restart Google Chrome to fix this issue.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.9.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@usman: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Google has recently changed their code signature, so it no longer matches what they were using back in 2014 when we last worked on 1Password 4. You can technically disable the code signature check in 1Password Preferences > Advanced, but that's not something we recommend doing since it weakens your security (we don't want 1Password sending sensitive information to an unknown/untrusted process). But at this point the bigger issues is that you're running a risk using an outdated OS which does not get patches for known exploits. Updating that will offer a security benefit, and also potentially allow you to use the current version of 1Password, which includes all of the improvements we've made in recent years, with more to come. That's something we can whole-heartedly recommend.

• usman
    usman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. :)

• redbird
    redbird
    Community Member
    Options

Wait a minute. I am also on 1Password 4.4.3 and Google Chrome 58.0.3029.110 and having the exact same problem. Are you saying that if we intentionally choose to stay on OS-X 10.9.5 Mavericks, then our 1Password has permanently lost important functionality? You will not be fixing this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redbird: As I mentioned, Google has recently changed their code signature, so it no longer matches what they were using back in 2014 when we last worked on 1Password 4. It has the exact same functionality it did then, and won't be receiving further updates. You have a few options:

• Upgrade: If you purchased 1Password for Mac version 4, versions 5 and 6 are a free update for you, and Apple has also offered free macOS upgrades since then. This is also an important security consideration, as you're no longer receiving security fixes and the browsers will be discontinued there as well.
    • Use a different browser: Firefox may work, though I don't have an old machine to test this on, and there may be others that will run on an old OS.
    • Disable the code signature check: Again, not something we recommend doing since it weakens your security (we don't want 1Password sending sensitive information to an unknown/untrusted process).

I hope this helps clarify things. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue on my macbook pro running OS X 10.9.5. I cannot upgrade to the new OS X because it will break my VPN access to work. I have been a 1Password customer forever. This just started happening today. Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). I cannot live without 1Password auto fill, I just can't. Is there nothing you can do? I am using 1Password 4.4.3. I guess I'll just have to disable this the code signature check. Tried that and it fixed the problem. Is there a way to get an older version of Chrome? Do you know at what point the broke this? I swear this was working yesterday, if not the day before...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am having the exact same issue on my macbook pro running OS X 10.9.5. I cannot upgrade to the new OS X because it will break my VPN access to work.

@ajahn: It may be worth looking into other options then. Since macOS has native support for VPN, you shouldn't even have to depend on 3rd party software being updated. Just a thought.

I have been a 1Password customer forever. This just started happening today. Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). I cannot live without 1Password auto fill, I just can't. Is there nothing you can do?

There really isn't. It would require us to dig the 1Password 4 code out and try to build a new update for something we literally haven't worked on in 3 years. I'm not certain it could even be divorced from the current v6 codebase. Suffice to say it's likely that we wouldn't even be successful in doing so, and this would be to support browsers which will be dropping this OS (which Apple no longer supports) sooner rather than later (Mavericks is currently the minimum requirement for Chrome and Firefox, for example).

I am using 1Password 4.4.3. I guess I'll just have to disable this the code signature check. Tried that and it fixed the problem. Is there a way to get an older version of Chrome? Do you know at what point the broke this? I swear this was working yesterday, if not the day before...

It would have been very recent, depending on when Chrome updated itself. Google's signature was changed with v58. Have you tried Firefox? If that works, it would be a much better option than disabling 1Password's security check.

That said, I apologize if this sounds harsh. I'm really sorry this is affecting your workflow, but unfortunately technology marches on. And especially since we're talking about software you use to help you be more secure, I think it's really important to stay up to date with the OS, as there's already a long list of security fixes you're missing by not doing so. And 1Password can't protect you if you fall prey to an exploit which compromises your system, or the browser once you stop receiving updates there as well.

Unrelated to this, future versions of the 1Password extension that we're working on will require 1Password 6. I say "unrelated", because these are changes we need to make to support the new WebExtensions standard being adopted (and soon required) by major browsers. And since the browsers automatically update extensions, eventually they will simply break for you completely once we're no longer allowed to use the current method (WebSockets) which will be deprecated and then removed completely from browsers later this year. I'm telling you this now as, even though you're able to disable the code signature check or use Firefox for the time being as workarounds, this will not work indefinitely. So I can't stress enough the importance of staying up to date, both for security and to continue to get the most out of 1Password.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I'm a software developer, so I understand. At some point I'll have to upgrade my OS.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ajahn,

Thank you for your understanding. If there's anything else we can help with do let us know.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.