Changes for Windows and syncing in 1Password?

hcientisthcientist
edited May 2017 in Purchasing

First of all, THANK YOU for all your hard work over the years, and your continued efforts to raise the bar of usable security and public knowledge and understanding of security.

Is there already a blog post, press release, or thread that details what I think I understand from a response to a support email:
1. 1Password "standalone" (how do you call this product?) is no longer available for windows?
2. 1Password will not continue to support 3rd-party synchronization (requiring 1Password subscription)?

1 Huge reason I use 1P is because of it's cross-platform support (tolerating the html-file interface on Linux). Another part of the reason I use 1P and recommend to friends and family is because they can choose their own synchronization method. I have been happy to pay for licenses for each OS (iOS, Windows, OS X) that I (or my family) use in order to support this awesome company and product. Without a Windows client, will the user interface become similar to LastPass (web only)? (This is one of the biggest disadvantages of LastPass.) Also, while I have so far trusted 1Password and respect the openness with which you communicate security issues and explain security, I simply cannot get on board with recommending to people a product where all the secret eggs will be held in a single basket.

Even if subscription pricing is necessary for the continued development and support of 1P, how about I choose to pay it because I like the product, and you continue to support I keep my secrets elsewhere? Perhaps you publish an API and we (an imagined community of devs?) implement an open source sync server that people/orgs could host for themselves?

I know that the vast majority of people are not tech-savvy enough to want to worry over sync options, but I wonder if your research includes any details about how the users of 1Password are connected with each other (e.g. I can name more than a few digital dependents whom I support in their usage of 1P).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @hcientist

I'm not aware of any blog post but there have been a number of threads here in the discussion forum which touch on the topic. It is true that 1Password 4 for Windows is no longer being sold. We are still supporting folks who already have purchased it, but we're not onboarding any new customers to that product. For a while we were developing both 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Windows, and in doing so we were slowing down the progress on v6. That was untenable so we stopped development on v4 and as a result stopped selling it.

v6 does not currently have full 3rd party sync support. It can read such vaults, but cannot write to them. At present it only works completely with 1Password.com, and that is where our development focus is and will likely remain.

As for having all the secret eggs in one basket: fortunately we don't do that. In fact if anything there is an additional secret (the "Secret Key") which exists only when using a 1Password.com account and is never recorded by or transmitted to us. You can read more about that here:

About your Secret Key

We have an in-depth technical white paper on how your data is protected and exactly how and why all the "eggs" aren't stored with us:

1Password Security Design White Paper

As for whether we study how 1Password customers are related to each other I can answer that with a definite no. In fact we don't even know who many of our customers are. We collect only the minimum amount of personal details that we need in order to do business. Trying to derive the relationships between 1Password customers would certainly be against our MO. That doesn't mean we aren't concerned with how related folks use 1Password. In fact making it easier for people to share 1Password data was one of our primary motivators for building our 1Password Teams and 1Password Families services.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1: :)

Ben

• btownguybtownguy Junior Member

@Ben , you stated: "At present it only works completely with 1Password.com, and that is where our development focus is and will likely remain."

Is this a new development? The message throughout this forum has been that you will be bringing local vaults to 1Password 6 for Windows eventually. Are you saying that this is no longer the case?

• FrankFrank

Team Member

@btownguy - Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize for the confusion. As Ben mentioned, 1Password 6 on Windows is only compatible with a 1Password.com account at the moment. We don't have plans, as of right now, to add the ability to sync locally via Dropbox. We still plan to bring it over but it is not our current priority. Right now, the team is focused on 1Password memberships and developing 1Password 6 to make sure it provides the best customer experience with a 1Password membership. I appreciate the feedback and thank you for reaching out to us to clarify. :+1:

@Frank - thank you for your reply. I can't help but feel that it is very opaque however. You say "We don't have plans" and then in the next sentence you say "We still plan to bring it over". Which is it?

Also, can you clarify something else? I personally don't care about Dropbox or OneDrive. I just want a local vault (like on my C:\ drive) in 1Password 6. When is that going to come?

• FrankFrank

Team Member
    edited May 2017

Hi @btownguy - Well you're right, that was an odd sentence :blush: Sorry for the confusion there and I'll be happy to clarify. We don’t currently have plans to add Dropbox sync or folder sync to 1Password 6 for Windows, and things could change down the road but that’s not our primary focus right now. I really appreciate you replying back and again my apologies with the odd sentence there.:+1: I hope this helped a bit more. I know it's not exactly the answer you want to hear but I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're always here for you if you need us :smile:

@Frank - thank you for the clarification. No, it was not the answer I wanted to hear but at least it was clear and now I know for certain that it is time for me to find a replacement for 1Password. For the record, I work in IT and consider myself a somewhat sophisticated user. I understand encryption, hashing, keys, etc. I'm not saying your implementation is not secure. I appreciate the explanations and the whitepapers you put out. That being said, I will never store my personal password vault (which includes all of my financial passwords) on a 3rd party server. Never. It will ALWAYS be stored locally on my C:\ drive and I will take care of the backups myself. I can't help but feel that there are MANY others in the same boat as me and I feel that it is a mistake for AgileBits to abandon those users. Your company built up alot of customer goodwill in its first years in operation. From my perspective, you are quickly eroding that goodwill with the stance to abandon local vaults.

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Hi @btownguy - You're very welcome. I completely understand but you can keep rocking your standalone license. You can continue to use folder sync and take care of the backups on your end using 1Password 4 on Windows. At this time, nothing has changed. You're current use case is still valid and we will continue to support you with any questions you come across. I'm sorry you feel we let you down but for new customers, a 1Password membership is a better solution and user experience. I believe most people prefer not to manage a sync source or create backups on their own. With a 1Password.com account, they no longer have to do that. If you have a standalone license it will not expire and you can continue to rock 1Password just as you do today. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and perspective with us :smile: As I mentioned before, we're happen to listen and we're always here if you need us.

This discussion has been closed.