Most Entries Are Labeled 'unnamed'

Options
pwrmacbob
pwrmacbob
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

I am using the latest version of 1Password that should be syncing 2 Macs, an iPhone and an iPad to Dropbox. I noticed that on one of the Macs that most of my entries are named 'unnamed'. I had this problem once before (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/62145/all-my-logins-have-unnamed-in-os-x-version#latest). It looks like your recommendation was to restore from a backup. I don't use this particular Mac very often, so I don't know when this started happening. How would I determine what backup to use and if I pick the wrong one, will it effect my synced files on Dropbox? Can I just delete some files (which ones?) on this Mac and then resync with Dropbox?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pwrmacbob,

I'm very sorry you ran into this problem again! Our developers squashed this bug last year, but if you don't use one of your Macs very often, I wonder if it still had an older version of 1Password 6 until recently, and perhaps that older version still had this issue. It looks like you're using version 6.7.1 now (which is currently the latest), but I'm not sure if both Macs have that update installed, so you might want to check the version on both.

The backup you would want to restore would normally be the most recent one from before the problem started. But since you don't use that Mac very often, I don't know if it has a backup of your latest data. But even if it doesn't, there are other options to get a working copy of your vault back on that Mac if you have your data on your other devices.

Can you please let us know the following:

• Did the "unnamed" items appear on just that one Mac? Or is it also a problem on your other Mac, iPad, or iPhone?
    • Do you have all your latest 1Password data on your other Mac, iPad, and/or iPhone?
    • On the Mac with the "unnamed" items, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Backup. Does it show any recent backups from shortly before the problem happened? And if so, do the recent backups seem to have the right number of items?

Once we know that, we'll have a better idea of the best way to get things back to normal. Thanks! :)

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member
    Options

I just did a backup today and before that the latest is from April 1, March 29 and Feb 15. So since I don't know when the problem started, not sure if any are the 'good' backup. I also just updated today from 6.7 i think. it was only a version or 2. Both Macs should be up to date. I can't check the other Mac right now, but that one is the one I use more often, so it should be current.

• The 'unnamed' items are only on this one Mac.
    • The latest data is on the other devices and Dropbox.
    • aI listed the latest backups above. Of course they all have different item counts and none are what I currently have.
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @pwrmacbob! It sounds like the backups on that Mac won't be helpful, but you'll definitely be able to get your data back since you have it on your other devices. I think the easiest solution here will be to reset 1Password on that Mac (with the "unnamed" items), delete the current sync file from Dropbox, then create a new sync file from the other Mac (the one with your latest data). Then you can set up 1Password on your current Mac by syncing with the new file in Dropbox. You can follow these steps to do all that:

On your Mac with the "unnamed" items:

1. Open the main 1Password app.
    2. Make sure 1Password is locked - if it isn't, lock it by clicking the padlock in the top right corner of the app window.
    3. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.

On your other Mac (with the latest data):

1. Open & unlock 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    2. Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    3. Click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    4. Open your Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure the sync file has been deleted.
    5. In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    6. Select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    7. Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    8. Click Create New to create a new 1Password.opvault sync file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.
    9. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your Mac with the "unnamed" items:

1. Open 1Password, and on the ‘Welcome’ screen, click on ‘Sync using Dropbox’.
    2. Click the ‘Chose File…’ button and select your new .opvault sync file from Dropbox.

On your iPhone and iPad:

1. Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Start Syncing. (At some point you'll get an error message when it realizes the old sync file was removed from Dropbox, which is expected.)
    2. Tap Sync with Dropbox. (If prompted, sign in to Dropbox or tap 'Allow' to allow 1Password to connect to your Dropbox account.)
    3. Tap the name of your Dropbox account.
    4. Select the new sync file and choose to merge your data when prompted.

That should get things back to normal - please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I'll try this today or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like it worked! I did a backup and deleted all the old ones too. This way I have a good point in time. Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.