Auto-copy OTP when that's the only element

Options
mkwerle
mkwerle
Community Member

I use a couple services that require only OTP entries. I use 1Password mini to retrieve them. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it would actually save me significant time if just pressing [return] on the entries would automatically copy the OTP to the clipboard. As it is now, I have to hit [→][↓][return] after typing the name of the entry to get the OTP copied, and since arrow keys (for most people) require moving hands off the home position on the keyboard, this becomes a significant difference. In an ideal world, I think that [return] would always copy the OTP if present, a password if no OTP was present, and a username if neither an OTP or a password were present in the entry.

BTW, just the fact that I'm asking for such a small optimization is a testament to what great work you guys have done! Thanks!

--Mike

1Password Version: 6.7 (670008)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkwerle,

Thank you for writing in with your request! The return key already has a function when a Login item is highlighted in 1Password mini / browser extension (it opens a website and/or fills the sign-in form), so we probably wouldn't change that to have it do something different. But we're definitely looking into ways to make this type of thing easier!

The ⌘⇧C (command+shift+C) keyboard shortcut will copy the main password of the currently selected item in 1Password, so perhaps a shortcut to copy the TOTP field would be an option. Our developers have also been working on a feature that automatically copies the TOTP to the clipboard after filling a sign-in form with the username/password, but it sounds like that wouldn't help in your case if the one-time password is the only field you need to fill.

For now, the method you've been using is probably the easiest. But hopefully we'll be able to make that even easier in the future. Thanks again for your suggestion! If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

• mkwerle
    mkwerle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -- I was unaware of ⌘-⇧-C; something like option-⇧-C would be great for a OTP.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @mkwerle! I can't promise we'll add that of course, but perhaps it's something our developers can consider. It certainly sounds like a good idea to me! :)

• Frank_Louwers
    Frank_Louwers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

It seems ⌘-⇧-C is bound by default to a dev-mode thingie in Safari?

While I understand the use-case of @mkwerle, I do have to login in a lot of sites that use one of two OTP flows:

• First type of sites: 1 form, with both username, password, and TOTP code, hit submit, the combination of the three is validated

• Other: first a classical username/password form, hit submit, then enter TOTP in a second form, hit submit again...

It would be great to have the OTP code automatically copied to the clipboard after getting the username/password from a Vault. If that's not possible, a keyboard shortcut to copy or even fill the OTP field would be great! I am a heavy user of ⌘-\!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

@Frank_Louwers: It isn't practical for 1Password to copy the TOTP code to the clipboard if you've just copied the username/password, as that will obviously overwrite it. However, the current 1Password for Mac (and iOS) beta will copy the TOTP code the the clipboard automatically after filling the username and password with the browser extension. Hopefully that will be available in a stable release before long as well. Cheers! :)

• jakan
    jakan
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for weighing in, @jakan! What version of 1Password for Mac are you currently running? Because the latest version, 6.8.4, incorporates the TOTP copy-after-login-fill functionality that brenty was mentioning. If you're not on 6.8.4, go ahead and upgrade if you're able to do so, and check it out! :)

This discussion has been closed.