Need help locating the license number from my single-license purchase of 1Password

Options
mistycreates
mistycreates
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

After some upgrades to my MacBook Pro, including an upgrade to OS 10.12.4, I received some upgrade notifications to 1Password 4. I had been running that version for quite a while, and am now running 1Password 6. To my surprise, I'm being asked for a license for which I already purchased 3 years ago. And it also seems that now 1Password is subscription-based, rather than single-license based.

I am looking at the old receipt, but I do not see the license number on it at all. I need help with retrieving it so that I can continue to use 1Password.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mistycreates,

Sorry you're having some trouble with your license! I'm sure we can help to figure this out.

First, please take a look at this support article, which might help to clear things up: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

If you're being asked for a license, that means you downloaded 1Password from our website (i.e. the "AgileBits Store" version). I tried searching our license system for the email address from your forum account but couldn't find any licenses for you. If you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store with a different email address, you can have your license resent to you from the "I've lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site (or from the above knowledgebase article).

On the other hand, if your old receipt is from Apple (and if it's for the Mac version of 1Password), that means you bought it through the Mac App Store. If so, we wouldn't have license information for you in our own system, but you don't need an actual license for that - instead, you'll need to reinstall the 1Password app from the Mac App Store (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to buy it, and download it from the Purchased tab). In that case, you should also delete the AgileBits Store version of the app by going to the Applications folder and dragging the 1Password 6.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can accidentally delete your data as well as the app).

If you're still having trouble, please let us know who the old receipt is from, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• mistycreates
    mistycreates
    Community Member
    Options

Drew_AG,

I purchased the app from the Mac App Store a few years ago. Even though that app is noted on my receipt, I am not seeing it listed under the Purchased tab. Regardless, I downloaded the app from the App Store, and it was the 1Password 6 version. This is not the version I want, in which I have to sign up/sign in to use the service.

I chose another solution which is working for me for now.

I was fortunately able to retrieve and install 1Password 4 files from a recent backup of my computer, before I upgraded my OS, and in turn, 1Password 6. I upgraded this version of 1Password 4 to 1Password 5, and left it at that. It is currently as I would like it to be. All of the recent passwords have been synced back in.

And as you've mentioned, AgileBits wouldn't have my license information for 1Password apps purchased via the Mac Store. I've provided a snapshot of what I did see when I checked for license information.

Thank you for your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mistycreates,

Thank you for the screenshot! Since you're seeing that in the License window, it means the older app you restored from backup is the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. If the AgileBits Store version detects that you previously paid for 1Password from the Mac App Store, it will automatically activate itself (that's why you're seeing "Purchased on the Mac App Store" even though you're using the AgileBits Store version). In other words, that's good news - it's working correctly now! :)

I also wanted to address a couple things that caused some confusion:

I purchased the app from the Mac App Store a few years ago. Even though that app is noted on my receipt, I am not seeing it listed under the Purchased tab.

That probably means you're signed into the Mac App Store with a different Apple ID than the one you used to buy it. You don't need to worry about that now since the AgileBits Store version detected your Mac App Store purchase and activated itself, but it's something to keep in mind if you need to install 1Password on another Mac.

Regardless, I downloaded the app from the App Store, and it was the 1Password 6 version. This is not the version I want, in which I have to sign up/sign in to use the service.

Just to be clear, 1Password 6 also supports standalone purchases, so it doesn't require you to sign up for a 1Password.com account. The Mac App Store version of 1Password has been a free download since version 6.6 (released in February), but will be in read-only mode unless:

• You paid for it before it became free to download (and installed it while signed into the same Apple ID you used to buy it)

Or:

• You make a new in-app purchase to use it as a standalone app (the equivalent of what you bought a few years ago)

Or:

• You sign up for / sign into a 1Password.com subscription account (there are many benefits to an account, but it's not the only option)

Again, this is not something you need to worry about now because the AgileBits Store version is working and activated. I just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding.

I upgraded this version of 1Password 4 to 1Password 5, and left it at that.

1Password 6 is a free upgrade for you, and was written to fully support macOS 10.12 (Sierra), so I recommend installing it. If the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 4 and 5 detected your Mac App Store purchase, so will the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6. Just open 1Password 5 and go to 1Password 5 > Check for Updates in the menu bar.

I'm sorry for all the confusion, but I hope this helps to clear things up! If you need more help or have any questions about that, please let us know. :)

• mistycreates
    mistycreates
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Drew_AG!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Have a great day, and let us know if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.