Will there EVER be Edge Support [Hopefully, yes, we're working on it atm]

Options
heusmannbm
heusmannbm
Community Member
edited May 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Like the Title says, will there Ever be support for the Windows Edge browser? I have had 1password for years! I have been waiting patiently and Edge is the only browser I use. Why can't you develop support for this like other products have? If you do not support Edge I'm afraid I'm going to look for another product that does. It pains me to say it because this is simply the greatest utility I have ever had for this!

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1703
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @heusmannbm,

Thanks for writing in. There are more details in this existing thread about Edge support but the short summary is that we're working with Microsoft on enabling 1Password support for Edge but there is no ETA. We're working around many limitations in Edge that simply does not exist in other web browsers.

Prior to the Windows 10 Creators Update, there was no way to enable 1Password support in Edge, it was still a young browser and didn't have the APIs we need. 1Password is an offline program, it needs to connect from the 1Password extension to the program running on the same machine. That's why a few others already have support for Edge, they can connect their extension to the cloud backend without any programs on the same computer.

Thankfully, the Edge team added the APIs we needed in the Creators Update and we are still working on it, we're basically rebuilding 1Password around these new APIs but we will only ship as long as it can have the 1Password experience you expect to see. At the same time, we're also working with Microsoft to improve the experience for the near future.

• Alexey Stepanov
    Alexey Stepanov
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thank you for an update, long overdue. I understand development needs time, and APIs are not within your control - however as it stands, you were clearly not prepared. Eg getting 1Password app into Windows Store was CLEARLY going to be a prerequisite, so extension or no extension, you should have added the app to the store a long time ago. Edge is a far superior browser, and with more and more power users ditching Chrome for good, a lack of an extension is a major inconvenience. As it stands, there are extensions of 3 of your competitors in the store - and despite being a long-time 1P user, I have been forced to switch, at least for now.

Regards,
    Alexey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for an update, long overdue. I understand development needs time, and APIs are not within your control - however as it stands, you were clearly not prepared. Eg getting 1Password app into Windows Store was CLEARLY going to be a prerequisite, so extension or no extension, you should have added the app to the store a long time ago.

@Alexey Stepanov: That's really not the case. Before the APIs existed, it was impossible for Microsoft to even make a statement regarding any requirements that might go along with that. Similarly, it was impossible for us to build anything which made calls to frameworks that didn't exist, much less test against them. "The proof is in the pudding", as they say. ;)

Edge is a far superior browser, and with more and more power users ditching Chrome for good, a lack of an extension is a major inconvenience. As it stands, there are extensions of 3 of your competitors in the store - and despite being a long-time 1P user, I have been forced to switch, at least for now.

Edge is a really fast, modern browser, and it's coming along quite nicely. I long to be able to use 1Password there myself in time, but you should absolutely use whatever tool best fits your needs now if you've decided that this is a requirement for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.