Same account, different user names on different URLs...

Options
LuigiVampa
LuigiVampa
Community Member
edited May 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Guys, I use 1Password at work and we have different internal portals authenticating to the SAME AD account. However some portals requires the full email (foobar@example.com) while other require just "foobar". Since they authenticate to the SAME directory the password is obviously the same.
I don't want to keep two different sets of URLs and change the password twice. Is there any way to tell that different accounts use the same password?
(Hope the question is not too unclear...)
Thanks a lot!
Luigi

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:different user names

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @LuigiVampa,

I'm afraid there is no way to link two Login items to use the same password unfortunately. Login items are currently entirely separate from each other at the moment. You'll need to use two different Login items and manually update the password in both items if it changes.

In this scenario, 1Password uses the URL you're viewing in the browser to determine which Login item is to be used on the page. Having two different Login items one for each variant of your AD username would be required also to ensure 1Password can match the current URL to the Login item with the right username. These two different lists of URLs would be different from each other so only one Login item should need to be updated if a URL changes.

We could add a feature to link passwords between Login items however I highly doubt this will ever happen because it would make it possible to easily create many Login items with the same password - something that 1Password is built to avoid. Since AD is used by so many companies out there this is something we may need to think about managing in a better way in the future.

For now I'm afraid we have the above limitations - I hope this helped answer you question and thank you for taking the time to write in today. If you've any further questions please let me know.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• LuigiVampa
    LuigiVampa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Matthew and thank you very much for the prompt and detailed reply!
    I greatly appreciate the attention
    Luigi

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome @LuigiVampa,

We love hearing about these kinds of usages of 1Password. This Forum really help us understand how you guys need 1Password to work.

If you've any other questions or suggestions don't hesitate to write in again.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.