Chrome Extension between Mac and Windows Problem. Couldn’t connect to 1Password.

I set up 1Pass on my Mac and iOS device last night and everything seemed to be running smoothly. I log onto my work computer this morning and open up my Chrome browser with my google account already signed in. I see the 1Pass extension but it doesn't want to operate. I click on the extension and I get the error,

"Couldn’t connect to 1Password. Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us."

I have a leading suspicion that the extension is being blocked from my companies blocker, unless I'm wrong. Is there anyway to get around this? I noticed that 1Pass offers Dropbox storage but I am kinda against the idea as it doesn't seem as secure.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• lolatlogan
    lolatlogan
    Community Member

To add, what else are my options? Should I log into my 1Pass account through the web to access my passwords?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@lolatlogan: 1Password.com is a good option if all else fails, but that should only be necessary if the computer is tightly locked down and you're not able to use the 1Password app and extension. But in this case it sounds like you may simply need to install the 1Password app on your computer. Your comments suggest you haven't done that yet. Is that the case? You can get it from the Get the Apps page in your 1Password.com account. Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• lolatlogan
    lolatlogan
    Community Member

@brenty I talked to my IT department and it seems that they are hesitant to installing the 1Password Desktop Application as we already have an internal password manager. I may push the issue but as 1Pass only really assists in my personal accounts I doubt they would budge. It seems like I"ll probably end up using the website. Are there anyways to not have to input my Master Key every time I log in?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lolatlogan: So, first I just want to say that the rest of this should be taken with a grain of salt based on your company's policies and your relationship with the IT department... ;)

But in case it helps, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not require admin rights to install. It will ask for them (this enables additional diagnostic features) but you can say "no" and it will install and run just fine. But if this is a policy issue, you may not want to install it even if you technically can. No use getting on their bad side! Just wanted to mentioned that in case it offers a solution in your case. And if there's anything we can do to help with regard to your company vetting (or even adopting) 1Password, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll be happy to assist.

Otherwise, if you're stuck using the 1Password.com web interface, you could do a lot worse, and that will at least allow you access your data. There are just a few considerations (which also relate to your question). When you login to 1Password.com, your Secret Key will be saved in the browser's local storage unless you check "This is a public or shared computer". Not doing so means you'll only need to enter your Master Password each time thereafter to login; but if this is a computer that others have access to (if it isn't yours), it may be best to check that box. If it helps, you can access your 1Password.com data (and account credentials) on an iOS or Android device. Let me know what you think! :)

This discussion has been closed.