Drag and drop items on Windows

Options

Hi,

I've been using 1Password personally for years on Mac, iOS, and 1Password 4 on windows.

I'm trialling migrating to 1Password for teams as I'd like to introduce it at work to replace our existing password management system, and have imported my private vault into 1Password 6.

I see the folders feature of 1Password 4 has been dropped and the import has tagged everything that was in a folder consistently, but now I want to rename these tags as where I had nested folders before I can no longer do that, and I want to restructure the shared vault before giving it to my team mates.

I found elsewhere someone suggesting that although that's not possible, the solution was to add a new tag to one of the items and then drag the items with the old tag to the new tag - however drag and drop doesn't seem to be working either in the windows client or the web client? When I try and drag items nothing happens, and in the web client I can't even multi-select items. Is there another way to move items from one tag to another without doing them all manually?

Is it possible to use 1Password 4 with 1Password for teams? I know it's a bit older and not as pretty, but it seems that 1Password 6 on Windows still has some basic features missing that would make it hard to argue that we should switch from our current password management to 1Password.

thanks!
Tony

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, I've been using 1Password personally for years on Mac, iOS, and 1Password 4 on windows. I'm trialling migrating to 1Password for teams as I'd like to introduce it at work to replace our existing password management system, and have imported my private vault into 1Password 6.

@tonyr_: Thanks for your support, and for giving 1Password.com a try! :)

I see the folders feature of 1Password 4 has been dropped and the import has tagged everything that was in a folder consistently, but now I want to rename these tags as where I had nested folders before I can no longer do that, and I want to restructure the shared vault before giving it to my team mates.

That's a great idea! I'm sorry that it means a bit of work, but I'm sure your teammates will appreciate it. :chuffed:

I found elsewhere someone suggesting that although that's not possible, the solution was to add a new tag to one of the items and then drag the items with the old tag to the new tag - however drag and drop doesn't seem to be working either in the windows client or the web client? When I try and drag items nothing happens, and in the web client I can't even multi-select items. Is there another way to move items from one tag to another without doing them all manually?

Drag and drop, and other advanced tag management features, are things we'll be adding in a future update to the new Windows app. I'm not sure this can and will be added to the web interface, but it's something we'll look into as we add more functionality there as well. For now it necessary to edit individual items manually to add or remove tags. I'm sorry I don't have a better solution for you yet, but it's something we're working on.

Is it possible to use 1Password 4 with 1Password for teams? I know it's a bit older and not as pretty, but it seems that 1Password 6 on Windows still has some basic features missing that would make it hard to argue that we should switch from our current password management to 1Password.

1Password 4 cannot work with 1Password.com accounts. That's a big part of why we've built a brand new app, and why the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app doesn't yet have all of the features of the older version.

I think the most important thing here is that you're able to evaluate 1Password Teams before committing your team to it. It sounds like it may still need some additional features (such as more robust tag management) before it's a good fit for you, but if you'll let us know other things you're looking for we'll take that into account as we continue to improve both Windows and web clients, so that we can better meet your needs in the future. Thanks so much for the feedback on this! :blush:

• tonyr_
    tonyr_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

thanks for your reply. It's good to know that you're looking at adding drag and drop to the windows client.

I've been playing around with 1Password 6 for Windows over the last few days, and unfortunately I don't feel I can recommend it for our company right now. I'm not that happy with our current solution, so hopefully as 1Password for Windows improves it will be an alternative I can consider in the future.

Here are a couple of other things that I think would be good to see in a future version:

• Re-adding support for folders. We have to manage a lot of different details securely for different clients, and having a way to organise that sensibly is important for us. Simple tags aren't sufficient without some way of hierarchically grouping items. Currently we would have far too many tags and our vault would not be sufficiently organized.

• Full access to my existing (private) vault. I know I can import my existing vault into 1Password 6, but I would like to keep my vault as it is and separate from my company account. I tried adding it as a folder, but it seems like that only gives me read-only access to the vault and so I still have to use the 1Password 4 client.

Kind regards,
    Tony

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonyr_: I understand completely and really appreciate your honest feedback on this.

I don't believe that we'll be adding folders to 1Password.com in the future (they're much less user-friendly and also give rise to sync conflicts), but we're looking at ways of making tags easier to manage and improving the UI so they can work better for more use cases (like yours). You're right that there needs to be a better way to manage them at that scale.

Local vaults however, while we'd like to be able to support those in the new app, will never be part of 1Password.com. It doesn't sound like that's what you're suggesting, but our priority is to get all of the features the new app needs completed. It does sound like 1Password 4 is a better option for you for the time being if you still depend on folders and local vaults heavily. But we'll keep improving both the new app and 1Password.com, and perhaps it will be a better fit for you in the future. Thanks again for giving it a chance. :)

This discussion has been closed.