1Password MINI

LONG time 1Password user, but new to subscription service which is now up and running great. During the setup, it briefly mentioned 1PW Mini which I selected. I believe it went on to state that 1PW Mini should be running all the time in order to sync and other chores. My question is how do I know it's "running". I see the 1PW icon in the tray. Does that mean it's running? With 1PW open, if I minimize it, I see that icon also in my tray. Does this meaning it's "running" if just the 1PW icon alone does NOT mean it's running?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    edited May 2017

Hi @Starflyer It's been awesome chatting with you today :blush: Great question! 1Password mini is the brains of the entire operation. If you see the icon in your menu bar, then it's indeed running. The 1Password app won't function without 1Password mini. Basically 1Password mini runs the show.

You can double check preferences within your Password app to make sure it's been enabled to "always 1Password mini keep running" I hope this helped and let me know if you have any further questions.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

The graphic above is not the one I see with my new subscription 1PW service. I did see this one however when I was installing the subscription setup. Not that it matters anymore to me as I have the Mini going, but if I were to want to turn it off, where would I go with my subscription setup?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer: I'm guessing that maybe you're running the Windows version, though you didn't mention it. Is that the case? If so, you'll find the option here in Settings > Options > General:

But to be clear, 1Password will still have to run when you want to use it, either on its own or in the browser. You can have it not run all the time, only when you need to use it, but I find it's nice that it's already running since it means not having to wait for it to launch. Cheers! :)

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

OK, I found my "checked" box as above in your graphic on my Windows 10 machine. No where do I see this setting when operating within my Apple MacOS machine. I'm not complaining since I know my Mini is up. I'm starting to assume this work "Mini" refers to 1PW on a Windows OS machine. My other Mini is parked in the garage...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer: Sorry for not being clearer! 1Password mini refers to 1Password running in a little icon (at the top of the screen on a Mac, and at the bottom on a PC) to facilitate using 1Password in the browser. It's also there so that 1Password is ready whenever you need it, and it's a convenient way to open the 1Password window.

If you're having any other trouble finding things or just have questions, be sure to let us know the exact version of 1Password you're referring to so we're on the same page. We're here for you! :)

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Here's my setup. 1PW for MacOS AND Win10. 1PW seems to work fine on the MacOS/iOS side with auto logon's. Different story on the Win10 side. Auto logon's don't work. The selected websites do pop up, but NO user name/password is entered. Strangely enough, on the Win10 side, I have an autolog to Amazon. Clicking the icon in the directory does NOT do anything. I instead have to click on the link in the "details" (ie, in this case, amazon.com/xxx). I'm thinking perhaps I have a "mini" problem on the Win10 side. A bit awkward, but I can copy/paste.

The main reason I switched from my prepaid 1PW setup to the subscription 1PW was for automatic logon's with Win10. I'm now wondering if I should delete 1PW from my Win10 machine and start all over. The "mini" option seems to work fine on my "Apple" side.

AFAIK, I have the latest software available. What do you think? Perhaps 1PW doesn't totally work yet with Win10.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer: I'm using it on several Windows 10 machines, and many others are as well. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, knowing a specific URL will let me test it myself. Just keep in mind that 1Password isn't meant to do "automatic logon"; rather, it only fills credentials when you tell it to, using the Ctrl \ keyboard shortcut or clicking the 1Password button in your browser. Let me know what you find!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer, I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this thread to our Windows forum since it sounds like the problem is happening with the Windows version of 1Password. Once we hear back from you with the information Brenty asked for, we should have a better idea how to help you get this all sorted out. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.