HDD crashed - Where are the passwords stored?

My computer died and (of course) I haven't made a backup of my 1Password vault. With new computer I have attached the HDD from the old PC but it is corrupted so I've had to run a disk recovery programme. However, I have no idea what to look for in terms of a folder, file or file extension. Would I need to redownload 1Password to access these passwords? Any help or advice would be very gratefully received.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:where are the passwords stored

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @OctaviaMoon,

I am sorry to hear about your computer! Let's see what we can do.

It sounds like you have been using 1Password 4 on your computer, which by default stores your data only on your PC. The default location for your local vault is C:\Users\<your-username>\Documents\1Password, so please check this folder for the files with the .agilekeychain or .opvault extensions. However, please note that it is possible that you saved your vault to a different place.

If you don't have any files there, please let me know if you set up sync in 1Password on your computer, before it crashed. It is possible that you have your vault stored in your Dropbox.

I will be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• OctaviaMoon
    OctaviaMoon
    Community Member

Thanks Greg - I actually think it's worse than when I first posted. I couldn't access the drive at all (connected to my new PC). I had to run a disk recovery programme which renames all the files and any extensions it doesn't recognize it just adds something like .CMD. The file structure is also lost in the recovery process so I can't even navigate my way to it that way :(

On the 'up' side (if there is one) - most sites allow me to change my password - my biggest loss is Facebook - which I use for business as well as personal - with no customer service and an inability to send a verification code to either of my emails I am locked out.

Anyway, thank you for responding and trying to help, I'm off to crawl into a fetal position and have a bit of a cry :((

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@OctaviaMoon: You are very welcome! Again, I am really sorry about the situation you are in. :frown:

Stories like yours is part of the reason why we introduced subscription based 1Password.com accounts last year. When you have one, your encrypted vault is stored on our servers and if your computer dies, all you have to do is to sign in to your account on a new one, all of your data will be there.

You can learn more about them on our website and sign up for one, if you are interested. If you have any additional questions, please let us know, we are always here for you.

++
    Greg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Using a standalone license and a local vault requires some advanced technical skills to set up and maintain sync and backups. For this reason I recommended to take a closer look at 1Password accounts. However, @arianelu has some good tips above, so they are worth to check them out, @OctaviaMoon. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.