Saving an edited attachment

Options

I have an Excel file named let's say CriticalData.xlsx containing information that exists only as an attachment in 1P.
As long as I don't need to edit this file, everything is fine, but as soon as I make a change, I know I must save it and drag & drop it anew into 1p.
Right now I save the file back into the same folder into which 1P opened it (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp) with a meaningless filename such as OPW950B.xlsx.
I save the file using my original filename as shown in the 1P attachments field, i.e. CriticalData.xlsx, then drag & drop this into 1P.
Immediately two identical Excel file icons will be shown in the attachment, both with the same name.
What confuses me is that clicking on each of these files reveals the same "Created" date- and timestamp and "Last modified" date- and timestamp, as if both are the edited version.
However, if I open these files, one is the unedited version and the other is the edited version.
I can see myself one day forgetting which is which and deleting the wrong one just before closing 1P.
Is this a "design feature" or is it a fault in my 1P?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Win7 SP1+all updates
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi @Kriegie,

Thanks for writing in.

It is intentional, you can't update attachments in 1Password, you can only replace it. In other words, once you update the file on disk, you have to delete the original attachment stored in your item (right-click on it to select delete) and then upload the updated file. This is because when you double-click on an attachment, 1Password creates a decrypted copy of your attachment on disk for you to use. Once you terminate 1Password, that copy is deleted instantly. So, you're working on a separate version of the file that is never seen again.

However, I'm not sure what you mean about the timestamps, 1Password doesn't show the file timestamps for your attachments. You may be talking about the item itself, which doesn't get updated just because you change the attachments, attachments are stored separately from your items and instead, they're linked.

This discussion has been closed.