Apple's new iCloud 2TA policy

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

Will apple's new 2FA policy for 3rd party apps that they will implement in June for iCloud affect 1P?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@rlgleason51 nope. This is for when you use a 3rd party email app and you want to use iCloud.

This was talked about here a little

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51, @prime: Good call! Since with 1Password you're logging into iCloud directly, so it doesn't run into the limitations that 3rd parties do. It's confusing though because the Mac App Store version of 1Password doesn't involve the user in this process at all; iCloud authentication happens in the OS. But the AgileBits Store version opens an iCloud login page in the web browser to authenticate. Cheers! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

So third party email apps like yahoo, gmail will be affected, even if they added as inboxes in the Apple mail app?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@rlgleason51 if you download the official gmail app and add your iCloud email (whatever@iCloud.com) you will have to have an app-specific password.

If you have 2SA set you for a gmail account or outlook/hotmail and want to use those emails on the official Apple email app, you would have to do the same.

This is a pain to do but at the same time helps with security. I don't trust anyone with my passwords. This way if I use the Outlook mail app on my iPhone, and have my iCloud email on it, my actual password isn't on Microsofts servers.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

if you download the official gmail app and add your iCloud email (whatever@iCloud.com) you will have to have an app-specific password.

@prime: I was scratching my head for a minute there until I realized you must mean Gmail on iOS. I wish there were a Mac app! :lol:

If you have 2SA set you for a gmail account or outlook/hotmail and want to use those emails on the official Apple email app, you would have to do the same.
    This is a pain to do but at the same time helps with security. I don't trust anyone with my passwords. This way if I use the Outlook mail app on my iPhone, and have my iCloud email on it, my actual password isn't on Microsofts servers.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's a pain, but I'm also glad to have this option at least. I don't think about it much (just set it up and forget about it), but I could probably utilize this even more...

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty this is why I shouldn't post before coffee :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Let this be a lesson to you! :lol: :+1:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I was scratching my head for a minute there until I realized you must mean Gmail on iOS. I wish there were a Mac app

@brenty there is, it's called Kiwi http://www.kiwiforgmail.com/
    Ok, it's not a native app, more a wrapper, but I like it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: Whoa. Awesome! Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.