Why does 1Password for Mac lock me out of editing logins?

Options
mattman
mattman
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

If I try to edit a login on 1Password on my Mac I am immediately taken back to the login screen. When I login and try to edit again, I get taken back to the login screen. Thus I cannot edit logins on my Mac at all.

This problem does not exist for me in the iOS version of the app or in the web vaults from what I can see.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Matthew Fosberg

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.7 (670008) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox and 1Password for Families

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattman,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble editing a Login item! It sounds like you're clicking on the website address in that Login item, which will normally open that site in a web browser and try to fill your username/password into a sign-in form. If you're trying to edit the website address or something else in that item, you'll need to click the Edit button first. Once you're in "edit mode" you can make changes to it.

Does that help? If I misunderstood exactly what's happening on your end, please let us know the exact steps you're taking to edit a Login item on your Mac. The more details you can give us, the better. Thanks!

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

Drew- As much as I wish this was the case, it's not. I'm clicking on the edit button and I'm getting back to the login screen every time.

Thanks,

Matt

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattman,

Hmm, that's strange. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "login screen" though, as that could be referring to different things. Can you please elaborate on that? For example, when you click the Edit button, does the website for that Login item open in your browser and show the page with the sign-in form? Or does clicking Edit cause 1Password to lock itself and show you the lock screen that says "Enter your Master Password"? Or are you asked to sign into your 1Password.com account? (And if so, do you see that within the app or on the 1Password.com website?) Also, is this happening when trying to edit an item in the main 1Password app, or 1Password mini / browser extension, or both?

If possible, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of what you see after clicking the Edit button (just make sure it doesn't show any personal/private information). When replying, you can drag the screenshot into your message, or click the "Attach image" button above the comment field and select the file.

Thanks in advance! :)

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

Drew-
    Unfortunately I'm at work and can't get a screenshot for you on my home computer. You had it right when you suggested it takes me to the lock screen. This behavior is only on the application on MacOS. It doesn't happen on 1Password.com or in the iOS apps on my iPhone or iPad.

Matt

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @mattman! No need to take a screenshot if you're seeing the lock screen when this problem happens - I just wanted to be sure I understood what you meant by "login screen".

When you get home, try rebooting your Mac. After it restarts, open & unlock 1Password and try to edit an item. Does that still cause it to lock itself and show the lock screen?

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Restarted a couple times this morning and the same result. Clicking on the edit icon in any login I tried results in being taken back to the lock screen.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattman,

It sounds like 1Password mini is crashing and causing 1Password to lock when you're trying to edit an item. Since it stubbornly keeps happening we'd like to get some additional information to figure out what's causing it:

• Restart your Mac again (sorry for that inconvenience).
    • Open and unlock 1Password, then try editing an item.
    • If it still returns you to the lock screen, use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostics report as soon as possible:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report (Mac)

Attach the report file with an email to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forum, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email.

You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a support ticket ID. If you post that ticket ID here we can track down your email with the report more quickly and help you get this issue resolved.

Thanks in advance!

• mattman
    mattman
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry it's taken so long to get back on this. Life intrudes at the most inconvenient moments.

My support ID is #SQJ-27348-321 for this issue.

Thank you!

Matthew Fosberg

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @mattman ,

I've received your report and have responded to it there.

Thanks,
    Kevin

ref: SQJ-27348-321

This discussion has been closed.