Is it recommended to create and store device (i.e. iPhone, MacBook) passwords in 1PWD?

JBallin
JBallin
Community Member

I currently have my device passwords memorized and therefore they aren't very strong. I'm wondering if I should use the 1PWD generator (using words) to secure my devices, especially given that I have Touch ID on both my Mac and iPhone.

My only concern is that this is almost like storing my account key in 1PWD because assuming they get all my devices and the master password they could get into my device, turn off iCloud, and completely hijack the account.

Obviously the benefit is that if somebody got my computer it would be nearly impossible to get in. My iPhone will wipe itself after 10 failed attempts but unfortunately Mac doesn't offer that.

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2017

Hi @JBallin,

I think the words generator would be the appropriate approach here, if you were going to do it. Since device passwords will almost definitely need to be memorized something like grind pelvis heroes all is much easier to remember than w4uxMNFE4g6N9y (I just used the password generator to make these).

Just my 2¢. :)

Ben

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@Ben I'm aware that the word generator would make more sense but I'm wondering how you guys recommend we do it. Should I have 1 password or should I also have my device passwords? What do you do? I suppose you're suggesting that I could make a word password and not store it in 1PWD? Or would you store it there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JBallin: There's no harm in saving these encrypted in 1Password. The concern is that you really need to think ahead a bit and avoid getting into a situation where you need to get into a device to get into 1Password, but your password for that device is locked in 1Password on that same device. However, if you're using 1Password.com and have your Emergency Kit somewhere secure yet accessible to you, you'll always have an escape hatch if you get into trouble. Cheers! :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2017

Since most of my devices have the same data on them I treat my login password as one account and use the same password for most all of them. There are a couple of exceptions, such as shared computers, where I use different passwords.

Since I type my login password about 30 bajillion times per day, as I have a very short lock timer set, I have this/these passwords very well memorized and typing them is muscle memory.

I'm not necessarily saying that would be the recommended practice, but it is what works for me.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.