I upgraded to latest version of 1password but now I can't use in Chrome extension

Options
sammyharley105
sammyharley105
Community Member

After upgrading to latest version of 1password, it not longer works in Chrome extension. If I remove it, and reinstall it, will all of my current logins and passwords still be there? I don't want to lose them.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I upgraded to latest version of 1password but now I can't use in Chrome extension

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sammyharley105,

I'm sorry the 1Password extension isn't working in Chrome after an update! We can help to solve this, but we'll need to know some more details about your setup and the problem first:

• What version of OS X / macOS are you running on your Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of Chrome is installed? (Go to Chrome > About Google Chrome to find the version number.)
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome?
    • What happens now when you try to use the extension? What do you see (if anything) when you click on the extension button?
    • Do you see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar? If so, what happens when you click on it?
    • Are you able to open and unlock the main 1Password app and see all your data there?

Also, to answer your question:

If I remove it, and reinstall it, will all of my current logins and passwords still be there?

Your data is stored separately from the 1Password app file and browser extension. So if you delete the app file or extension, you're only deleting the app or extension itself, and all your 1Password data is still on your Mac where it always is. Once you reinstall 1Password, it will find your data just like before. To delete the 1Password app, simply drag the app file from the Applications folder to the Trash (make sure you do not use any app cleaning tools for that, as they might accidentally delete your data as well).

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• sammyharley105
    sammyharley105
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - my version of Chrome is 58.0.3029.110
    Sierra - 10.12.5
    1Password is 6.7.1 and it says AgileBits Store

I have tried several times to install the extension but it never works on Chrome. It DOES work on Safari, but I don't use that. Should I remove the 1PW software and re-install it? I was just very concerned about losing my passwords if I did that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @sammyharley105! Do you currently have any version of the 1Password extension installed in Chrome? Or do you mean you uninstalled the extension from Chrome but are unable to reinstall it? Or are you running into a different problem when trying to install the extension?

Should I remove the 1PW software and re-install it?

You can if you'd like (remember not to use any app cleaning tools), but without knowing anything about the problem other than "it never works", I really don't know if that will help.

If removing/reinstalling the 1Password app and/or extension doesn't solve it, we'll need to know some details about the problem in order to help. If you can describe exactly what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking, what you expect to happen, and what happens instead, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working again. Cheers! :)

• sammyharley105
    sammyharley105
    Community Member
    Options

I had the extension installed already, but when I did the upgrade, the extension stopped working.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sammyharley105,

Thanks, but we really need to know more details about the problem, as "stopped working" doesn't tell us very much. Can you please let us know the following:

• What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome? (Please click the link for steps to find the version number.)
    • Do you see the 1Password extension icon in the toolbar of Chrome?
    • What happens when you click the 1Password extension icon in Chrome?
    • Do you see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar? If so, what happens when you click on it?
    • Do you get any error messages when you try to use the extension? If so, what do they say?
    • Are you able to open and unlock the main 1Password app and see all your data there?

The more details you can give us, the better. Thanks!

• mdix
    mdix
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Let me try to answer your questions:

• Chrome has 1Password 4.6.6.90 installed / Mac has 1Password 6.7.1 installed / MacOS is 10.12.5
    • I can see the icon in Chrome
    • When I click the icon in Chrome, it opens a new page "Looking for the 1Password app", starts 1Password Desktop for some seconds and quickly closes it afterwards, then the page in Chrome gets updated with "Couldn’t connect to 1Password"
    • I see the 1Password mini icon in the Mac's menu bar, when I click it, I'm asked to enter my master password (as usual), when I entered the password, I see my stored information
    • the complete error message in Chrome says "Couldn’t connect to 1Password Make sure you have the 1Password app installed. If you're still experiencing problems follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us."
    • I'm able to open the 1password Desktop app and I can see all my stored data

Note: I just installed an update for MacOS (10.12.5) and directly afterwards, 1Password and also NearLock (https://nearlock.me/) stopped working properly.

Thanks so much for your help & best
    Marc

• mdix
    mdix
    Community Member
    Options

I restarted the Mac, removed the Chrome extension and paired it again w. the 1Password extension. Now it's working.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mdix,

I'm sorry to hear you were also having a problem using the 1Password extension in Chrome, but I'm very happy that you were able to get it working again! Thanks for following up here to let us know what happened.

Hopefully it all continues to work well for you from now on, but if you run into more issues with 1Password or have any questions, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.