To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Getting a Document item back out of 1Password

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Some Parting Thoughts....

Comments

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member
    Options

Ok so first problem. I had previously added some files to some of my password entries. These were files which you cannot view (non text) and now I want to save the file back from 1Password to a folder - how do I do that ? I only seems to want to let me view it ?

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, @davegarratt !

Thanks for reaching out! :)

I hope you don't mind that we created a separate thread with your question. This way, we can keep everything nice and tidy.

In regards to your question, 1Password will download a local copy to your computer when you choose the "Click to Download and View" option. A screenshot of this can be seen below.

To access the downloaded file (after clicking the above option), simply click on the downward arrow button and choose "Show in Finder."

Feel free to nudge me if you have any other questions!

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member
    Options

I have been testing 1Password with your online Accounts subscription service. I migrated all my local vaults to the online account and was surprised to see that all the attachments which had previously been assigned to individual entries now appear as separate entities (Documents). This resulted in over 100 extra entries in total. I also found that you can't move an item which has linked documents from one vault to another. I did some tidying up and then tried to export my cleaned up vault from the web interface as was told that you can't export entries with attached documents?

I assume these are features of the new way of working - to be honest I'm not keen having all those document attachments floating around my list of passwords etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have been testing 1Password with your online Accounts subscription service. I migrated all my local vaults to the online account and was surprised to see that all the attachments which had previously been assigned to individual entries now appear as separate entities (Documents). This resulted in over 100 extra entries in total. I also found that you can't move an item which has linked documents from one vault to another. I did some tidying up and then tried to export my cleaned up vault from the web interface as was told that you can't export entries with attached documents?

@davegarratt: Indeed, Documents can be downloaded and saved like any file, but it does require and extra step as not everyone wants these downloaded automatically to all of their devices, due to both bandwidth and storage limitations. Documents are a new way to store files in 1Password without having to have an associated item of another type (though you can link items with each other). We're working on making it easier to move them around though...and perhaps more. ;)

I assume these are features of the new way of working - to be honest I'm not keen having all those document attachments floating around my list of passwords etc.

That's a really good point. While Documents are much more flexible (many folks have asked us how to add files to 1Password; having to create a separate item and attach them isn't always intuitive). But you're right that the opposite can be true as well, especially for long-time 1Password users. We've added the ability to link items, and we'll continue to work to make it more intuitive. In the mean time, you can always view another category if you don't want to see Documents. Thanks for the feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.