I have used 1password since 2013, but today on Sierra OS, I get red "1" flag on button and not work

Options

My 1password stopped working today, get red "1" flag on button on Safari. When I click on it as usual, now I get popup menu that has about 4 choices, but is otherwise all blank. My 1password license is old, from 2013,

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have used 1password since 2013, but today on Sierra OS, I get red "1" flag on button and not work

Comments

• tbleakne
    tbleakne
    Community Member
    Options

I just paid for upgrade at Agilebits, but I can't access account details to complete upgrade. The windows do NOT show compatibility with Mac OS Sierra although my old copy of 1Password has been working fine under Sierra for 1 week.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tbleakne,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password! I hope you don't mind, but since you're using 1Password 3, I've moved your message to our "1Password for Mac 3 and 4" forum.

1Password 3 for Mac is a much older version which hasn't been in development for several years now, and unfortunately it isn't fully compatible with newer versions of OS X / macOS or with the latest versions of some browsers. We have more information about that here: 1Password 3 legacy support information

As I was writing this, you posted again to let us know you upgraded your license. Have you installed the 1Password 6 app on your Mac? That version definitely supports Sierra, but it sounds like you may have chosen the option to sign into a 1Password.com account.

There are many benefits of a 1Password.com account, but whether or not you decide to try that, the first thing you'll need to do is migrate your data from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6. From the ‘Welcome’ screen you see when opening 1Password 6, click on 'More Options...' and choose 'Search my Mac'. That should find your 1Password 3 data - select that under "Vaults found on your Mac" and click the Use Selected Vault button.

Does that help? Let us know if you have more questions about that. Thanks! :)

ref: 294484

• tbleakne
    tbleakne
    Community Member
    Options

pw 3 stopped working after system upgrade to Mac Sierra. Paid for upgrade to pw 6 May 29, but no license code in email. Auto activation can't find my existing password. How do I activate, and how to I migrate my passwords from pw 3 to pw 6? Old 1Password Version: 3.8.22

New OS Version: OS X 10.12.5 Sierra

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Paid for upgrade pw 3 to current May 29. Need to activate, plus move from pw 3

• tbleakne
    tbleakne
    Community Member
    Options

email acknowledgement of upgrade purchase was in junk folder, took me days to find it, and it does not have license code, only link which does not work. my password to your support not work either. Very frustrating. I depend upon password, need your help.

• tbleakne
    tbleakne
    Community Member
    Options

Do not understand help comments left by Drew_AG on May 29. He said use "search my Mac" but it did not work.
    Wait maybe it is working now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tbleakne: I've merged your comments with the original discussion you started. Please don't create multiple discussions about the same issue. It will save time and reduce confusion if everything is in one place. :)

1Password 6 does not use a license key. It uses a license file. I've resent your license information via email, so just follow the instructions there to install and register the app if you haven't already done so.

If Finder does not have a "Search my Mac" option for a Spotlight search, you may have a deeper issue with your Mac. And if you're still having trouble downloading the license file, that's very odd as well. We won't be able to help with those issues, but if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac and generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to try to help you locate your 1Password data:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• tbleakne
    tbleakne
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ok I have my password system working again, with all my passwords (is this called a vault?), but now I realize it is only working with the 20 day trial. It says Password 6. I have the email you sent June 5 with my new license key that I bought, which says 1Password3 for Mac.
    Your comment is incorrect, I do have search on my Mac, Mac is running fine, and Safari is showing the button that now works with all my passwords.
    I don't understand all the Password terminology.
    Problem now is I have tried to enter the long key in the above email to activate.
    In Password Preferences -> Accounts, I see:
    1. Sign-in address
    2. Email address
    3. Secret key
    4. Master Password

I assume 3. is the long key in the email. My own email address is [removed by AgileBits for privacy on our public forum], which you used to send the key.
    I know my Master password,
    but WHAT IS MY SIGN-IN ADDDRESS and where to I find it? This is all very confusing and frustrating. Please help. Thanks.

• tbleakne
    tbleakne
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand all these options of license key, license file, password accounts. I don't really want to pay a monthly fee. I am only using 1password on this single system, I don't synch it to my other devices because I don't trust that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Ok I have my password system working again, with all my passwords (is this called a vault?),

@tbleakne: Glad to hear you're back up and running. And yep, in 1Password you store items (Logins, Secure Notes, etc.) inside an encrypted vault which can only be unlocked using your Master Password. :)

but now I realize it is only working with the 20 day trial. It says Password 6. I have the email you sent June 5 with my new license key that I bought, which says 1Password3 for Mac.

The license key listed in the email is for 1Password 3. Don't do anything with that, since you're using 1Password 6. Just click the link to register the app (which downloads and installs the license file in the app).

Your comment is incorrect, I do have search on my Mac, Mac is running fine, and Safari is showing the button that now works with all my passwords.

I think you may be conflating two different things. This is what Drew was referring to, in 1Password for Mac:

This is what I was talking about, in Finder:

I don't understand all the Password terminology. Problem now is I have tried to enter the long key in the above email to activate. In Password Preferences -> Accounts, I see:

Don't use any of this. It doesn't apply to your situation. Please follow my instructions above (and in the license email) to register the app.

I assume 3. is the long key in the email. My own email address is [removed by AgileBits for privacy on our public forum], which you used to send the key.
    I know my Master password, but WHAT IS MY SIGN-IN ADDDRESS and where to I find it? This is all very confusing and frustrating. Please help. Thanks.

You don't have a Sign In Address. More on that below.

I don't understand all these options of license key, license file, password accounts. I don't really want to pay a monthly fee. I am only using 1password on this single system, I don't synch it to my other devices because I don't trust that.

While it's important to keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect it. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. But if you don't want to sync your data, you don't have to. And if the only version you want to use is 1Password for Mac, and you already have a license for that, there's no need to worry about the rest. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.