Cannot uninstall 1PW3 extension per instructions bc 1PW main app keeps crashing. now what?

15 inch, mid-2010 laptop running 10.12.4
1PW3 3.8.21 build 32009

I am trying to upgrade to 1PW6 and am trying to follow the "How to uninstall the 1PW 3 extension". 1PW main app crashes at step 3. Note that the main app has been crashing frequently not just when I try the uninstall. Now that i want to upgrade, it crashes almost every time. When I open 1PW3 main app, it opens to having the "software" option selected and if I click on ANYTHING other than a menu item, it crashes immediate (including if i select "Go>Logins" from the menu). I can paste the crash report in if that helps.

I installed the 1PW6 main app on this old computer and it works great and 1PW6 immediately found the data and works fine... until the trail period ends soon.

Now what should I do?

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrandyDog,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty following our steps to uninstall the 1Password 3 extension! The 1Password 3 app is much less stable on Sierra than on previous versions of OS X / macOS, which can unfortunately cause crashes like that.

In version 3, the 1Password extension and main app had separate copies of your data, so the reason for those steps is to make sure all the latest information you added to the 1Password 3 extension has been copied to the main 1Password 3 app, which is where 1Password 6 finds your data when you go through the setup. But you might not need to follow those steps - do you have all of your latest data in 1Password 6 now? If so, you don't need to worry about following the steps to save a new Login item, and you can simply uninstall the 1Password 3 extension from your browser.

On the other hand, if you think you have data in the 1Password 3 extension that never synced to the main app, let us know and we'll see what we can do. Thanks! :)

• BrandyDog
    BrandyDog
    Community Member

I am confident that I have all the data I need in 1PW6 so I removed the extension and then deleted 1PW3 main app. I reopened 1PW6 and all the data I need is there. So now I need to purchase a upgrade from 3 to 6, are there any discounts for existing customers and if so how do I get them from the website store? I haven't purchased from the App Store.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrandyDog,

Glad to hear version 6 is up to date and that you've uninstalled version 3!

As for purchasing an upgrade, the best way to do that is to sign up for a 1Password.com account. That will also allow you to use the latest version of 1Password on all supported platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android), automatically syncs your data so you don't need to configure sync settings with third party services, gives you access to your account data from the 1Password.com website, and means that you don't have to worry about upgrade fees now or in the future. There are many other benefits as well, and you can read about those here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

You can easily move your data to a new 1Password.com account by following our steps here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have questions about that! :)

• BrandyDog
    BrandyDog
    Community Member

Hi Drew
    Yes, I do have a question. If I upgrade to the standalone version 6, is there a discount for v3 licence holders?
    thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrandyDog: We're no longer marketing the standalone version. A 1Password.com membership includes access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. If you'd like to discuss your situation further, we should continue the conversation via email to avoid confusion. Cheers! :)

ref: PPA-86693-495

This discussion has been closed.