The stuff nightmares are made of for non geeks

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Lounge

I am already using uBlock Origin but now I have discovered uMatrix which is highly configurable but breaks websites.

Available for both Chrome and Firefox. Here is the Chrome version.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/umatrix/ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf?hl=en

It interferes with 1Password on the web.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Oh my god. Well, that certainly is...full featured. :lol:

I hadn't heard of that one before, but I can certainly see how it would interfere with 1Password in the browser (and apparently many other things as well!)

It's still too early to say for certain, but we're making progress on using Native Messaging for browser communication instead, which should help avoid interference with many 4rd party extensions and "security" software.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty, Of the two issues regarding Duo and 1Password the first and one that got me locked out of the Web App has been locked has been resolved. The second involving extensions hasn't, with no time frame indicated.

I will also add uMatrix to the learning curve of 1Password.com. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I'd classify that as a 1Password.com issue, since it's clear that it's the 3rd party stuff that's interfering. And frankly I'd encourage you not to use 3rd party extensions in the browser you use to access your 1Password data — either using our extension or website — as they often have permission to collect whatever they want in the browser. I'm not saying that's what's happening in this case, but I'm not willing to take any chances where something could maliciously or mistakenly collect my most sensitive data. Just a thought.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

I suppose that there has to be some trust involved. Primarily, I have in Firefox and Chrome EFF's HTTPs Everywhere, UBlock Origin (Ad blocker) and Netcraft's anti phishing extensions, among others.

Thanks for your concern.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh totally. It's all about trust. There are certainly some really great extensions out there which are supported by excellent developers — and incredible organizations like the EFF. But even some apps I've trusted for years whose developers are above reproach have been compromised, so it behooves us to be vigilant. Stay safe out there. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.