video playback in 1browser

Options
Tommi
Tommi
Community Member

Hi,

It's just a minor thing but a few days ago I noticed that video playback in 1browser stopped working on my iPad and iPhone. Is that a bug or a feature? Latest iOS and 1password versions are installed.

Tommi

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Tommi

Sorry to hear about the trouble. For which website(s) is this happening? I just tested playing a video on YouTube through 1Browser and it worked. Please let us know.

Ben

• Tommi
    Tommi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer. I first noticed with spiegel.de which is a German news site. But it's the same for all the other sites I checked, e.g. cnn.com. I can't check with YouTube because I get transferred to the YouTube app. Just now I checked Vimeo and that works, weirdly enough. BTW, I also tried changing the client ID from 1Browser to Safari, but no dice.

Thomas

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Tommi. Could you please try playing these videos in Safari? If you need to login using 1Password you can do so using the extension:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Please let me know how that works.

Ben

• Tommi
    Tommi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

So, just checked. Safari works fine with all sites that display videos. 1Browser still nothing, though.

Thomas

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Tommi. If Safari works for you it would be my recommendation to use that. The 1Password extension makes it super handy.

I'll keep trying to reproduce the issue you're experiencing, and if I'm able to, I'll file a bug with out developers, but we really have very limited control over how 1Browser operates. We use Apple's web browser API to put it into 1Password, just as all 3rd party browsers (Firefox, Chrome, etc) on iOS do.

Thanks!

Ben

• Tommi
    Tommi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I have the first iPad Air, so no Touch ID which makes surfing with the 1Password extension really not so handy. Which is why I prefer to surf with 1Browser for the most part because I only have to log in once. You know? Chrome works just fine, BTW, just checked it out. This is getting weirder by the minute.

Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tommi: That makes sense. I tried m.spiegel.de on my iPhone, and it's saying "Error loading media: File could not be played", whereas I'm able to play videos at YouTube. It definitely seems like something the site is doing. Perhaps they're serving different content based on the browser. You could try changing the user agent in 1Password Settings > 1Browser, but I can't promise that will work either. The ones I tried seem to be blocked based on region.

• Tommi
    Tommi
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: yeah, I get the same error. I already tried changing the user agent, but like I said, no dice. I get the error from sites all over the world, e.g. lemonde.fr. So far, Vimeo seems to be the only site that's serving video in 1Browser for me.

Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tommi: Thanks for confirming, and for bringing this up. As Ben mentioned, we're just using Apple's webview for this, so I'm not sure if there's anything we can do to help, but we'll continue to look into it. In the mean time, I'm glad to hear that you're able to use other browsers. If it helps, you could disable "Lock on Exit" in 1Password Settings > Security, so that the app only needs to be unlocked again based on the Auto-Lock time you set.

• digitalbuilt
    digitalbuilt
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Similar issue, tested and failed in vimeo, yt desktop site and others. If I hade to guess it looks like an html5 video bug, and it started a few weeks ago, perhaps tied to an app or iOS update. Using ipad pro.

Vimeo: see a still image but video fails to play
    YT desktop: spinning loading circle, never loads
    Other sites: videos fail to load.

please contunue to investigate, as a browser that can't play video is a seriously crippled browser solution.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @digitalbuilt,

I just tested this on 1Password 6.8 on iOS 10.3.2 with an iPhone 7 and Vimeo worked fine in 1Browser. I do have my user agent in 1Password > Settings > 1Browser set to 1Browser. Did you perhaps change this setting?

Please let us know.

Ben

• digitalbuilt
    digitalbuilt
    Community Member
    Options

Correct, Vimeo shows black screen with progress bar showing playing video. Scrub forward and get a single frame of video, progress bar continues to play.
    User agent 1browser (same issue set to chrome)
    Ipad pro large
    6.7.2 Latest I see on app store for ipad

• rudy
    Options

@digitalbuilt,

If you take the video into full screen mode does it play the video?

Rudy

• digitalbuilt
    digitalbuilt
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, on vimeo yes it does. It's all playing back from the quicktime engine I suppose, but that's strange that it plays full screen but not embedded.

Tried to play a video on digg.com, an embedded YT video, and again only plays full screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@digitalbuilt: Thanks for confirming. I don't know enough about the technical details of web video to offer a good explanation, but I often see the same thing with websites on my iOS and Android devices, regardless of the browser. It really seems like it's just how they're trying to display the video inline, since fullscreen works. I know I've seen inline video work too, so there's probably just a matter of how it's implemented. Perhaps inline they're trying to show the original (non-mobile-formatted) video, but switching to fullscreen forces them to serve a compatible format (e.g. h.264 on iOS) — maybe by requesting it for the specific screen size, instead of trying to scale too. And of course these websites and the technologies they're using is constantly evolving as well, so some days it will work for me and others it won't. Confusing. :unamused:

This discussion has been closed.