OneLogin breached, when will 1Password suffer the same fate?

Options
notwendy_appleseed
notwendy_appleseed
Community Member

So, now that LastPass and OneLogin has both been breached, when will 1Password get a front page spot on every tech blog out there?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

The difference between either of those solutions and 1Password is that only you have your encryption keys. This is why we can't help with password resets. AgileBits never has access to them.

1Password Security Design White Paper

:)

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The great thing about 1PW is that even if the data gets stolen, AgileBits don't have access to the master password and secret key so those cannot get stolen. And so the data, even if stolen, cannot be decrypted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Amen! Call us cowards, but we don't want to be in a position for an attacker to use us to get to 1Password users' data — yours or our own! So we've built 1Password with the assumption that someone could get the database at some point, and that it should be useless to them. Each of us alone has the "keys" to our data, and I sleep better at night knowing that — both as an AgileBits team member, and as a 1Password user myself. :yum:

• BillSabatine
    BillSabatine
    Community Member
    Options

This was on the news. Could this happen with 1Password?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40118699

• Simon_and_Sharky
    Simon_and_Sharky
    Community Member
    Options

Good question. I want to know too.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BillSabatine and @Simon_and_Sharky,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your posts with another forum thread about the same topic. I think the replies above from Ben, danco, and brenty should answer your question.

If you have more questions about 1Password, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• Simon_and_Sharky
    Simon_and_Sharky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Drew_AG! I feel better now :)

• BillSabatine
    BillSabatine
    Community Member
    Options

Yes definitely. 1Password has the keys to the kingdom.. it CANNOT be breached, or I'm doomed...... Great design guys!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, I posted this and I can't find the post. Well I think I did :lol:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime, I'm not sure what you mean - what did you post? Do you mean you tried replying to BillSabatine and/or Simon_and_Sharky in their original thread but now you don't see it in this one? If so, I wonder if you were replying at the same time I merged their posts into this thread. If that's what happened, I apologize!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

@Drew_AG I posted about this onelogin and I can't fine it. I know I saw it because I went back it to and was going to edit it, but changed my mind.

Also, when I see your user name, I think of Andrew WK :lol:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This post, @prime?

Looks like we may want to merge that and this discussion …

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk yes! :lol: thank so much! I thought I was going crazy.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I am going crazy, I tagged the wrong person.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol: :+1:

• eFb9jmCrjHehhCgXQbYM
    eFb9jmCrjHehhCgXQbYM
    Community Member
    Options

Could someone please compare the two architectures for me? And explain how what happened to OneLogin can't happen with 1password. Thanks in advance.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @eFb9jmCrjHehhCgXQbYM

I've merged your thread into a similar one on the same subject. Please see above.

Does that answer your question?

Ben

• dloranz
    dloranz
    Community Member
    Options

I am confused about the statements that "only you have your encryption keys" and that the "master password" cannot get stolen. The master password for a 1 Password vault sure seems to behave as though it is syncing up and down with the vault. For example, when I sync or share a vault via dropbox access on the other device requires the same master password. Please explain.

Thanks!

• Hi @dloranz,

That's a really good point. The master password does indeed look like it's syncing. But it's actually not. A while back I wrote a blog post that goes into the mechanics of how something like your Master Password can look as if it's syncing but technically it's not. You can read it here:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/04/28/how-1password-syncs-changes-to-your-master-password/

This kind of stuff is what makes 1Password incredibly fun to work on. :)

Rick

• dloranz
    dloranz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi rickfillion -

Thanks for the link to your post. That answered my question.

Thanks.

• That's great to hear. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

@rickfillion I read that once and forgot about it. This is great for people who I talk about 1Password, and the pictures probably help the most :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, folks often ask questions indirectly about how things work, and I'm always happy to explain. In many cases, I think I'm able to find a good way to sum things up. But with regard to Master Password "syncing", I always find myself linking to Rick's amazing bog post — "Seriously, check it out!" I just can't say it better myself. Cheers! :)

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

I recently wrote about a fundamental difference between how 1Password works and how it appears that OneLogin did things in How to be your own key master.

• notwendy_appleseed
    notwendy_appleseed
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot about this thread, thanks for good answers and the white paper. I'm happy to say that this is something I'd recommend to others as a password manager.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @notwendy_appleseed!

Ben

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    Options

This is one more reason of why I love your software (password manager). It has been build with the idea in mind that at some point a less smart person might try to breach in your database. You decided that we will hold no data of information about our costumers, therefore there is nothing to steal if a breach would happen. Very well thought and I am happy, I can support you guys through my annual subscription for 1Password account membership. ☺️

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Catalin1P: Indeed, this is really important to us not only since it protects our customers' data, but our own as 1Password users ourselves. Thanks for your support! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.