how to see my wife's personal passwords in families 1password

garyduke
garyduke
Community Member

My wife and I recently added a Families account. It's just the two of us. We're both designated as administrators. I've set it up that way so each of us can see the other's passwords. However, when I'm logged in on my machine I see three possibilities: a. my personal b. our shared and c. all vaults (my personal + our shared). What I'm wanting to see is her personal. And she wants to see mine. What's the easiest way to do this?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: latest
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to see my wife's personal passwords in families 1password

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

Hi @garyduke

The wife and I also have dealt with this same issue. What follows are a couple of our personal scenarios.

This is only for individuals whom want to share all data. It is not the normal default setup of 1Password. It assumes you wish to have no separate data.

Option 1:

Pro : Forget the personal vaults and the two of you simply use the shared vault, as you seem like us and share all logins etc..
    Con : Lets say you decide to invite a family member, older like a parent or younger like a teen etc. Using Option 1, they would automatically have access to any and all of either of your passwords. Because the 2 of you would be using the shared vault which is shared between all family members by default. To fix this you would need to do some work, like what I out line in Option 2 below.

Option 2:

This is the setup the wife and I use. Keeps our data shared between us and keeps it away from our kids. ;) Also allows us to share a selected amount of data to them.

You need to create a new vault called "Gary" for example as thats the name you used here. Since I don't have a clue as to your wife's names lets assume its "Jane"

1. Share Gary between the both of you, and share Jane between the both of you.
    2. Move all your data from your personal vault to your new vault "Gary". Move all her data from her personal vault to her new vault "Jane".
    3. Forget the personal vault, it cannot be shared and can only be seen by the individual user. So you each would not use your personal vaults from this point forward.
    4. Make sure and open the preferences on the Mac and select the vault for saving data to. Same goes for iOS. I am not familiar with the other clients but expect they would also have a preference for saving the data to a specific vault.
    5. The shared vault is exactly that, shared between all family members and has things like the WiFi password, Apple TV pin code etc. Which the kids can access and or get at.

Pro: You have your data and she hers, you both have your respective vaults setup to be shared with each other. Your vaults are contained and should you decide to add family members you would likely not need to change your setup.
    Also the shared vault can remain shared so that again if you invite a family member or guest to your account, they could also get at the specific shared items like a WiFi password, router login, Netflix etc.
    Con: I / we cant think of any. Well we would like the option to share the personal vault and do away with the messy issue of maintaining an entirely separate vault to accomplish our sharing.

Pro Tips:

1. In either instance, if you ever say... did you save ewqbebv.com to the other. They will likely respond yes and you'll go, well I cant find it. Stop, have the individual whom saved it, open their instance if 1Password, check in their personal vault. Some times you or should I say we get in a hurry and don't always save stuff in the desired location. Especially when working in the browser extension etc.

2. Retain both of you as admins. This would allow account recovery should either of the two of you forget your password loose their account key etc. It happens. I/we have had to use it before. If you haven't done so, print out the recovery for both of your accounts and put it in a safe place.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@garyduke: Just to clarify, it isn't possible for anyone to see another user's Personal/Private vault. This is very much by design, and not something we'll be changing.

You and your wife can, however, use some of the excellent suggestions thightower suggested above to adopt a similar setup to what you're looking for: You can both choose to store your data in a vault shared only between the two of you, and set that as your default (perhaps even hiding others).

Anyway, if you need help setting this up, just let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.