1Password Mini window size squashed

Options
defiant
defiant
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Not sure how or why this happened but my 1Password mini window has become squashed:

I've tried uninstalling 1Password, deleting any remnants from AppData\Local and all registry keys but the window size remains squashed.

Looking at the user.json file in the data directory I see:
"mini_": {
"w": 400.0,
"h": 320.0

But deleting the user.json file and restarting 1password, then opening mini, it defaults to 400 x 320

I know I can resize it myself, but how do I reset the window size back to defaults?

1Password Version: 6.6.428d
Extension Version: 4.6.7.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @defiant 1Password mini will remember the last size you used. Just resize it, it will update user.json and will use that size. Let us know if it's not the case.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

I know it can be resized and remembered, but why isn't it defaulting to its normal size when installed clean?

• It stores last used size in user.json which is not erased by installer, as it's part of your data folder. The default size is set to 400x320, I'll make sure we check that this is the best size though.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, even when user.json is deleted after the uninstall it defaults to 400x320. As mentioned I deleted the entire 1password folder plus cleared all registry keys I could find.

It's not a good default size as it cuts off the settings icon in mini, in addition to how it looks in the first post

400x320:

Resized:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @defiant,

Thanks for reporting this, this is a good find and it is the result of the recent 1Password mini changes (like adding favorites to the sidebar) and we didn't update the default sizes yet. We'll fix this soon as we need to review all default sizes in all 1Password designs on a fresh install.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

I was just about to post about this same issue. I was having a problem trying to save a new login manually to test this fix because I was not able to find the menu with "Save New Login". This was because the Settings icon was not shown as it had been pushed outside of the window view. I didn't notice until I was clicking other icons and noticed them shift up and then I could see the Settings icon.

Here are a few more UX feedback items

• As @SergeyTheAgile mentioned, the default size might not be the best size. The minimum size should be large enough to show all the icons without having to resize the window or scroll the toolbar.
    • The user should not be able to resize the window below this minimum size.
    • Remove the Settings icon and relocate those menu items to the top (Hamburger/3 lines) icon. That icon isn't doing anything now and it is often used for additional choices. Besides, of the 4 entries in the Settings icon menu, 3 of them are not actually "settings".
    • Removing the Settings icon would make some of the problems listed above go away as the default window will then be able to show all icons again. Of course this would need to be addressed in the future if you ever want to add another icon.
    • There are 4 round icons in the toolbar. This is very confusing as they do not represent their intended function. For example, my issue above where I was not able to find the "Save New Login" menu because I was looking for the round gear icon. I understand you are limited on size and 1-bit icons don't offer the details needed for a rich icons
    • Why limit to 1-bit icons? You could use some nice full color icons. This recent idea of many companies using plain, flat, boring, GUI and icons needs to go away.
  • MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @Smudge,

Thanks for the feedback:

As @SergeyTheAgile mentioned, the default size might not be the best size. The minimum size should be large enough to show all the icons without having to resize the window or scroll the toolbar.

This will be fixed in the next beta update.

The user should not be able to resize the window below this minimum size.

The problem with this is that we're going to be adding more to 1Password mini in the future such as tags, other categories and so on. That's why you can scroll the sidebar.

However, we have not pinned the Settings icon to the bottom yet, like the way we did the hamburger icon on top. This is coming in a future update.

That icon isn't doing anything now and it is often used for additional choices.

It's being used to make it easier to move the 1Password mini around as there isn't much draggable area on 1Password mini. However, in a future update, we do want to make it more usable.

Besides, of the 4 entries in the Settings icon menu, 3 of them are not actually "settings".

We don't have a better name for them yet beside Settings (More doesn't help either) and we went with what macOS version of 1Password does, which is Settings. If you have a suggestion, we'd love to hear them.

There are 4 round icons in the toolbar.

Our design team is aware and are trying to come up with a better scheme.

Why limit to 1-bit icons?

That's the trend that Microsoft is heading toward. Their guidelines suggest this type of look. However, our design team is always going back and forth because of the same thing you mention, very limited number of choices this way. Hopefully, they'll go colors in the future as I prefer colors myself.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

Good points @Smudge

Thanks for the reply @MikeT, the OCD kicked in when my 1Password mini size had changed (I like defaults!)

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like the most recent update messed with the default extension window size...

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@kop48, I've merged your post into this thread as it is identical.

While we've fixed the default size for the 1Password mini on a fresh install in today's update, there's a different size issue we found for when you log into a new site while 1Password is locked, the auto-save dialog's lock view is wider than it should be. This will be addressed in a later update.

• MikeT
    Options

Oh, we've fixed the settings icon issue, it's now pinned to the bottom of the sidebar.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, better now thanks @MikeT

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your feedback. Keep it coming! :)

This discussion has been closed.