How to enable Watchtower in 1Password for Mac

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Watchtower.

Comments

• OffGrid9
    OffGrid9
    Community Member
    Options

I received an email from Dave Teare dave_teare@agilebits.com back in late Feb, notifying me about a Cloudflare vulnerability that affected many of their clients (...potentially including AgileBits' 1Password...but no, miraculously everything was copacetic and my password data were safe. The email went on to advise me that OTHER sites might not have been as well-prepared (...or lucky) as 1Password, and that I might need to change my passwords for those sites. I was told that something called Watchtower would let me know which, if any, of my favorite sites were affected. The email contained this advice:
    "You can enable Watchtower to see which of your sites (if any) need their passwords updated. You can then change those passwords."

...But there was no information on how to "enable Watchtower". I followed the link to a web-page that was a huge nothing-sandwich.

I don't know what Watchtower is. I don't know if it is owned (or leased, or borrowed, or stolen) by AgileBits. I don't know if it's an automatic adjunct to my 1Password account (v 4.6.1.620) which is already "in there" [a la the old Prego ads], or if it's a separate program which must be loaded. If it's an integral part of 1 Password, I can't find it anywhere. If it's a separate program, I don't know from where I am to download any required program files, or how I am to use it. I am absolutely mystified. I feel like I've been wandering in circles, studying the migration patterns of the blue-footed booby (...a real bird, by the way).

Your concern over the security of my data is admirable -- huzzah! bravo! ...However, the clarity of your info on Watchtower leaves much to be desired. Sort of like, say, if Abe Lincoln stood up and said, "Four score and seven..." and then sat down.

Lukewarm regards,
    Jim Farwell

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OffGrid9,

I'm sorry you're having trouble figuring out how to use Watchtower! Your question is different than the one in the thread where you posted your message, so I've moved it to a separate discussion. I hope you don't mind!

Watchtower is a feature in the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password, and it lets you know about password breaches and other security problems on the websites you've saved in your vault so you can change your passwords on those sites. We have more information here: Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

If you need to enable Watchtower on your Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar. Click the Watchtower tab and enable the option you see there. Once you do that, you'll see a 'Watchtower' category in the Security Audit section (in the left sidebar of the main app window).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.