Archived logins/passwords

Options
Spaldo
Spaldo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I am not sure if this has been mentioned before or if this is in the wrong section. if so, sorry.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on having an archive section for logins/passwords? I have a number of logins that I want to keep for info/reference, however, no longer use and don't want to show up in the search. Is it possible to have something like an archive section that is only accessed if you need it?

1Password Version: 6.6.431d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Spaldo,

Thank you for participating in our forums! ;)

You can create a separate vault for your archived items. Combined with "Vaults included in All Vaults view" feature (which is coming in future updates) it will be exactly what you want.

I am waiting for it myself, as I already have a vault called "Archive" in my account. :) Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg ,

Thanks for the reply. The archive vault would be a good idea if it didn't display when searching all vaults. However, the upcoming feature of hiding it from all vaults will be perfect.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spaldo: Agreed. I also prefer the vault display options, as it's flexible enough to help with a lot of other use cases as well. Cheers! :)

• stangln
    stangln
    Community Member
    Options

I have several Vaults that need archiving and separation. Personal, Work, Clients,..... Logins/Items having the ability to archive (remove from 1P mini) would be helpful. Currently the archived vault method doubles my number of vaults

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stangln: Thanks for letting us know. We'll definitely be making it possible to hide specific vaults, and we'll see if there are other things we can improve that will help with this as well. :)

• TJdohertyCvl
    TJdohertyCvl
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely agree ... This is the thread closest, topically, to my question / issue. Every time I open 1P desktop(because Edge isn't supported) I get an entire list for a login. Type "dropbox" and not only do I get my current login credentials, I get a complete list of all of the previous logins (password changes - 5) ... with NO WAY of differentiating. So I am going back/forth trying to find the right one.

The old (non-family) 1P was far superior in this regard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We agree with you too. This is an area where we need to improve the new app. Thanks for the feedback on this. I can't say exactly when changes here will ship, but we're working on it. :blush:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

I wholeheartedly agree that there can be improvements to 1Password v6 and I still hang on to v4 for the vault content display. :) through 1Password Extension.

• MikeT
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi guys,

@TJdohertyCvl,

Every time I open 1P desktop(because Edge isn't supported) I get an entire list for a login. Type "dropbox" and not only do I get my current login credentials, I get a complete list of all of the previous logins (password changes - 5) ... with NO WAY of differentiating. So I am going back/forth trying to find the right one.

If you've already moved the previous items to the Archive vault, you can use the vault menu in 1Password mini to change it to the private/personal vault and it won't show you the archived items when you search for Dropbox.

You've said you open the 1Password desktop app (I assume main window) and using Edge but you can use 1Password mini to speed this up:

1. Bring up 1Password mini by using the default shortcut; Control + Alt + \
    2. (first time only) Press Alt + 0 to bring up the vault menu, so you can select the personal vault instead of All Vaults
    3. Go to Logins or Alt + 3

In addition, you can also favorite your items and get quicker access to it in Favorites in 1Password mini without searching for it.

@wkleem:

I wholeheartedly agree that there can be improvements to 1Password v6 and I still hang on to v4 for the vault content display. :) through 1Password Extension.

I assume you've mentioned what you want to see in 1Password mini to us before, right? I'm not sure what you mean by vault content display exactly but just to be sure we already have it on our list, can you clarify?

• TJdohertyCvl
    TJdohertyCvl
    Community Member
    Options

Totally with you @wkleem! Most likely going back to v4 after this trial. I love 1P and recommend it, but there is not enough differentiation or quality improvement to warrant subscription beyond what I have already paid for pro and the App.

@MikeT - shortcuts - and extra steps to get a "mini" - aren't sufficient, and frankly are unacceptable, certainly if you want subscription $$. I shouldn't have to go back and forth to tab between vault and browser. Right now, I am having to go back and forth between browsers (Edge and Chrome) because if I need to log-in quickly, I need my login screen open, and an extension that lets me click the lock and have my login right there and populate the fields.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, I meant to say that the way things look on 1Password v6 Windows when compared to the Mac or 1Password v4 for Windows is not something I am used to.

I prefer the overall look of the 1Password Browser Extension on the Mac and 1Password v4 for Windows. Too many steps and I'd use mouse clicks than keyboard shortcuts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TJdohertyCvl: Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry to hear that Mike's shortcuts weren't helpful to you. Can you tell me what you would find acceptable, as we continue to make improvements here?

@wkleem: It's a difficult balancing act. I prefer keyboard myself, but some folks prefer mouse. We'll continue to refine things for both uses. :)

• TJdohertyCvl
    TJdohertyCvl
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@Brenty - Thank you for asking, though I'm not sure there is a better solution until 1P works within Edge as an Extension.

Ironically, to answer you, I just did what I always have to do when I open an email with link and log-in requirement in Edge - I have to go open my Chrome browser so that I can use the Extension. Could I toggle back and forth between 1P in my taskbar and Edge, sure. But there are fewer steps if I just open chrome, paste the link, then unlock my vault. Yes, I could stop using Edge, but it has some things I really like and use for my work - markups, writing / drawing, webnotes for example.

Also have been surprised / disappointed that 1P subscription has not "synced" with my other computers. Didn't notice that the other computers were still using 1P v4 / Dropbox until today when I went from my laptop (use constantly) to my desktop (use couple times a week) . Since I'm in trial mode, I'm not likely to take the extra time to convert / sync the desktop. Would have expected either (a) it would have happened on its own; or (b) I would have gotten some type of notification to the effect "Do you want to use 1P 6 on this computer?"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brenty - Thank you for asking, though I'm not sure there is a better solution until 1P works within Edge as an Extension.
    Ironically, to answer you, I just did what I always have to do when I open an email with link and log-in requirement in Edge - I have to go open my Chrome browser so that I can use the Extension. Could I toggle back and forth between 1P in my taskbar and Edge, sure. But there are fewer steps if I just open chrome, paste the link, then unlock my vault. Yes, I could stop using Edge, but it has some things I really like and use for my work - markups, writing / drawing, webnotes for example.

@TJdohertyCvl: Ah, that makes sense. Indeed, having support in Edge itself would be ideal, so we're working on that. I really enjoy Edge myself, and I know I'm not alone here. And while I do use Edge daily for a lot of surfing, I'd be lying if I said I don't often use Vivaldi or another browser that 1Password can integrate with instead when I need to get stuff done. Once we're able to ship an Edge-compatible app/extension that will be better for both of us.

Also have been surprised / disappointed that 1P subscription has not "synced" with my other computers. Didn't notice that the other computers were still using 1P v4 / Dropbox until today when I went from my laptop (use constantly) to my desktop (use couple times a week) . Since I'm in trial mode, I'm not likely to take the extra time to convert / sync the desktop. Would have expected either (a) it would have happened on its own; or (b) I would have gotten some type of notification to the effect "Do you want to use 1P 6 on this computer?"

That's really interesting. I'm really glad you brought this up because I haven't heard anyone else mention this angle before. 1Password 6 exists because 1Password 4 knows nothing about 1Password.com accounts and cannot work with them. I'm not sure that we want to have 1Password 4 nagging people to upgrade, especially since these folks will generally already have licenses for that and 1Password.com isn't free. It's a great idea in your case, but we just haven't seen many folks with this kind of setup (present company excluded). Please reach out once you've decided which way you want to go and I'll be happy to help you get things setup. :)

• TJdohertyCvl
    TJdohertyCvl
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Will keep thinking, but a one-time "hey did you know you could sync" notification for someone in trial mode (because they've opted in to try it) wouldn't be overbearing.

My plan is to return to 1P4.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

In my opinion, it would help if 1Password v6 for Windows supported 1PIF as this had always been the preferred format for 1Password standalone versions. I can understand the need for a created from scratch brand new version but please don't alienate us old timers.

• Hey @TJdohertyCvl!

@brenty - Will keep thinking, but a one-time "hey did you know you could sync" notification for someone in trial mode (because they've opted in to try it) wouldn't be overbearing.

Just my two cents while Brenty is (hopefully) sleeping on his side of the world, but I have to agree with him that we'd likely get some significant backlash for prompts to use 1Password 6 in 1Password 4. Beyond that, I'm not certain we have a way to identify folks trialing 1Password 6, but using 1Password 4 on another device. Setting up other devices is included in our migration guide, so most don't find themselves in your position. Perhaps a prompt to set up other devices so they'll sync with your 1Password account following importing your vault to catch those not using the guide? Something to ponder, for sure.

My plan is to return to 1P4.

If you've not made any changes to your items in 1Password 6, you can just (re)install 1Password 4, uninstall 1Password 6 and open up your vaults again. I'm glad you gave a 1Password account a try. Maybe we can win you back when Edge support finally arrives? If you need help making the move back (for now), let us know. :chuffed:

@wkleem 1Password 6 can import 1PIF. Exports do need some work, but with differing data formats between 1Password 4 and 1Password 6, having 1Password 6 export data 1Password 4 can isn't as simple as it might seem and not likely to be a priority given the development focus on 1Password memberships.

This discussion has been closed.