Improve order of lists with Chinese characters

Options
biu_0w0
biu_0w0
Community Member

Hello and I'm from China. Because it's hard to save every site's name in English, I use Chinese instead.

I found in 1Password6, the list is in uncomfortable order when it has lots of items starting with Chinese characters.

In mainland China, we usually group items by the first letter of Chinese Pinyin.

E.g:

• 腾讯 - Teng Xun - T

• 咸鱼 - Xian Yu - X

• 阿里云 - A Li Yun - A

• 网易邮箱 - Wang Yi You Xiang - W

• 爱奇艺 - Ai Qi Yi - A

• 万网 - Wan Wang - W

• 迅雷 - Xun Lei - X

Good:

• A
    阿里云 A Li Yun

爱奇艺 Ai Qi Yi

• T
    腾讯 Teng Xun

• W
    万网 Wan Wang

网易邮箱 Wang Yi You Xiang

• X
    咸鱼 Xian Yu

迅雷 Xun Lei

Bad (In 1Password6):

• 阿里云 A Li Yun

• 爱奇艺 Ai Qi Yi

• 腾讯 Teng Xun

• 万网 Wan Wang

• 网易邮箱 Wang Yi You Xiang

• 咸鱼 Xian Yu

• 迅雷 Xun Lei

Hope to be fixed. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@biu_0w0: I've just replied in the other discussion you created. Again, I don't believe we're doing anything special here, just using the system control for sorting the item list. I'll double check with the development team though.

However, I do have one question: Are you seeing the exact same sorting between both platforms, or does that different as well?

• biu_0w0
    biu_0w0
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty It's different.

On Android, the Chinese part of ListView is in completely chaotic sequence, which should be in Pinyin order.

On Mac, the ListView's order is acceptable. But it's simply grouped by the first character of list item. Cause there're over 2,000 common Chinese characters, the list has too many groups. Like this:

Pinyin only contains A-Z letters, so we usually arrange Chinese items in A-Z groups by Pinyin. It just like what I post in main discussion.

Like "阿里云", its Pinyin is "A Li Yun" and it should put in group "A" not group "阿".

About Pinyin, it is similar to IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) in English. It could show Chinese pronunciation in A-Z letters.

You may find mature libraries at Github (https://github.com/search?o=desc&q=pinyin&s=stars&type=Repositories&utf8=✓).

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for clarifying, @biu_0w0. Just to be sure I understand: The titles of those items are written in Chinese characters, but they should be sorted from A to Z by using the Pinyin equivalent of those Chinese characters?

Do you know if this worked differently in previous versions of 1Password for Mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@biu_0w0: I'm not sure if you saw my reply in the other discussion you started, but as I mentioned there earlier, we're just using the system control for sorting the item list. So I wonder if your regional settings are coming into play here. We're really just letting the OS handle this.

1Password for Mac and iOS (which share some code) use the localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare: method. If the region is set wrong in System Settings, that may cause unexpected results. It's difficult for me to say because I won't know what I'm looking for when testing this. But it should match, say, the Finder's sorting of filenames. Is that what you're seeing?

This discussion has been closed.