Deleted the 1Password support folder, need it back

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 6 local backup file location.

Comments

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean we can toss out the GB of 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 backups in the Application Support Folder?

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    Options

I tossed out the 1Password 4 folder including backups, a new 1Password 4 folder (despite operating 1password 6) was created and a message given that the next subsequent backup failed. I am not finding a way to determine the location of the backup. You indicated that these are kept on your servers now!!! I assume this is the reason and I trust that's for expedient synchronization. Having said that I would also like to control the number of backups being generated and toss out the couple of Gigabytes of no longer relevant files, but they are relevant as ditching the 1Password 4 folder has revealed. I am finding incomplete answers to this question online. Your assistance would be appreciated.

• Hey @john_gil,

Thanks for writing in. We're sorry about the confusion but this was about 1Password 6 for Windows and not the Mac version.

The 1Password for Mac will only continue to create local backups, if you still have one or more local vaults in 1Password. In that case, you need to leave the backup directory where it is. You can learn more about this here: 1Password backups

For reference, our uninstall guide lists the locations of the local database and support files.

Please be careful not to delete any data that you're not 100% sure is not necessary anymore.

If you have more questions, let us know.

Cheers,

Alex

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Alex, why on Earth would 1Password 6 create a folder named 1Password 4 with back-ups in it dated 2015 and expect that anyone on earth would understand that is current? Seriously. I deleted it and am now ruined with over 400 passwords with custom icons that I cannot in a thousand years possibly recall and to recreate them would take a few weeks of my time to create new passwords but that requires EXISTING passwords to do so does it not!!!

I read through the protocols regarding the 'Secret Key' which I have never heard of quite frankly as I use my password to get in and was not aware of a double verification requirement. How am I to sign into any account without the necessary information to open 1Password? This includes banks, and extremely cryptic 15-20 character passwords using 1Password generated passwords for HUNDREDS of WEBSITES!

I was not negligent or hasty. I was logical and I did a fair amount of reading before doing given that I am dealing with Apple right now over iCloud lags. This included a statement which explained that 1Password syncs user passwords to your own servers. I'm flippin' furious! I hope to God that you can find a workaround for this....

I am getting constant notifications that current backups are failing. Why? THERE's NOTHING TO BACK-UP. It's also installed on my iPhone and iPad as well Safari Plug-in but each are giving the same message. 1Password mini menubar item as well is apparently uninstalled.

There is nothing reasonable about what has occurred here...

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    Options

I am not seeing 'Get the Apps' via 1Password.com anywhere given this online recovery method.

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    Options

I still have a folder that says 1Password 5 (User Library) with a number of backups in it by the way but they are all dated 2015. The LICENCEnSE is in there though which I trust remains valid and perhaps holds the mysterious 'Secret Key'.

Where are the 2017 backups? I synced 1Password to Dropbox and the files there refer back to the 1Password 4 folder that was regenerated anew and I have already explained that that file has NO CURRENT BACK UPS in it and was therefore deleted as it was over 1Gb in size!

Why are there so many different locations? If Dropbox is selected, the files ought to be migrated to the new back up folder location!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @john_gil,

I'm sorry you're having such trouble with 1Password! I think there's been a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about how 1Password works which has led to the problems you've described, and I'm sure that's been incredibly frustrating for you. I'd like to help clear that up, and I'm also optimistic that we can help recover your data.

I would also like to control the number of backups being generated and toss out the couple of Gigabytes of no longer relevant files, but they are relevant as ditching the 1Password 4 folder has revealed.

Deleting only the backup files (the ones with a .1p4_zip extension) wouldn't have caused a problem at all. However, you deleted the entire '1Password 4' folder, which also contains all your local 1Password data, your license, and other important files. That's kind of like ripping the hard drive out of your computer and then wondering why it doesn't work (not a great metaphor, but the best I could think of right now).

Have you emptied the Trash on your Mac, or does it still contain the original '1Password 4' folder? If that folder is still in the Trash, it should be easy to put it back where it belongs. But if you already emptied the Trash, do you have a full backup of your Mac from before this happened? If so, we can help you recover your data from there.

why on Earth would 1Password 6 create a folder named 1Password 4...

The '1Password 4' folder in ~/Library/Application Support/ is the data/backup directory used by versions 4, 5, and 6. It made sense to include the '4' in the name of that folder when we first released 1Password 4 for Mac, as it was a separate app from 1Password 3 and required its own data directory. 1Password 5 and 6 for Mac were written as updates for version 4, so they use all of the same data files & folders as version 4 did. Changing the folder name for each new version could actually have caused lots of problems, so we kept the '4'.

...with back-ups in it dated 2015...

Were those the most recent backup files in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups? If you had been using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password more recently than that, there should have been newer backup files there.

Is it possible you switched to the Mac App Store version of 1Password at some point? That version stores data and backups in a different location. Try looking for the following directory on your Mac:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

If you find it, does it have more recent backup files?

I read through the protocols regarding the 'Secret Key' which I have never heard of...

You would only have a Secret Key if you've signed up for a 1Password.com account (which is a subscription service we introduced last year). It sounds like you chose the option to sign into a 1Password.com account from the 'Welcome' screen of the 1Password app, but if you don’t have an account on 1Password.com, you would need to go back and choose a different option from the first setup screen. For example, if you sync your 1Password data via Dropbox, select “Sync using Dropbox” on that first screen (under "Used 1Password before?").

This included a statement which explained that 1Password syncs user passwords to your own servers.

That is correct if you're using a 1Password.com account. The data in a 1Password.com account automatically syncs with and is backed up by our own servers. But if you have local 1Password backups on your Mac and sync your data with Dropbox, then it sounds like you aren't using a 1Password.com account.

I am getting constant notifications that current backups are failing. Why? THERE's NOTHING TO BACK-UP.

Deleting your data folder might have something to do with why it's failing to make backups of that data. However, without knowing what those notifications say, I don't know for sure. But assuming we can help you restore your data, that should solve the problem with these notifications.

It's also installed on my iPhone and iPad as well Safari Plug-in but each are giving the same message.

The iOS version of 1Password and the 1Password browser extension on your Mac don't make automatic backups, so I don't know how they could be giving you the same message that backups are failing. What exact message are you seeing on your iPhone, iPad, and Safari extension?

Also, do you have all your latest 1Password data on your iPhone and/or iPad? If so, that's another option for getting your data back on your Mac.

I am not seeing 'Get the Apps' via 1Password.com anywhere given this online recovery method.

If you don't have a 1Password.com account, that recovery method doesn't apply to you.

I still have a folder that says 1Password 5 (User Library) with a number of backups in it by the way but they are all dated 2015.

1Password doesn't create a folder named "1Password 5", but it sounds like that folder has contents that would normally be found in the '1Password 4' folder. My best guess is that at some point in the past, you made a copy of the '1Password 4' folder and renamed it to "1Password 5" (perhaps you were using version 5 at the time). But whatever the reason, if that folder only contains older data, it probably won't be helpful, because it sounds like you might have a more recent copy of your data elsewhere.

Where are the 2017 backups? I synced 1Password to Dropbox...

Dropbox wouldn't have your backup files for 1Password unless you copied them there manually. However, if you have any .agilekeychain or .opvault files in Dropbox, those are sync bundles that are used to sync a 1Password vault between different devices. You can choose to sync your data from a sync bundle in Dropbox when setting up the 1Password app, so that's another option for restoring your data.

I hope this all helps to clear things up a bit. Once you let us know about my questions above, we'll have a much better idea of the best way to restore your data. Thanks in advance! :)

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew and thanks for the detailed response. I am now an expert 1Password user after that demonstration of software mastery. :) I think the logic to keep the folder name 1Password 4 is a bad idea btw...

Yes, I have a backed up folder from 3-4 weeks ago with the full 1Password4 folder intact. I suspect several recent passwords are missing.

The iPad is showing the same as OSX. It's asking me to sign in and or restore. Cannot obviously find an account.

There is no '~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups' in the User --> Containers folder.

It seems that I need basic instructions regarding the backup folder migration back to the Desktop's User Library Folder. Is it a simple drag/drop and replace?

You are responsible for a few more hairs dropping out of my head during the last couple of days. I am pleased to hear that this can be restored but I will believe it when I see it.

Thanks, John GIl

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello Drew and thanks for the detailed response. I am now an expert 1Password user after that demonstration of software mastery. :) I think the logic to keep the folder name 1Password 4 is a bad idea btw...

@john_gil: Well, we can agree to disagree...but you may have felt differently if we had changed it and you'd lost your data because of that, rather than because you deleted it yourself. Given that it would have been a cosmetic that most users would never even see (the Library is hidden by default, and tucked away where most folks would never look anyway), it didn't seem reasonable to risk making a change that would complicate people updating to the new version in place.

Yes, I have a backed up folder from 3-4 weeks ago with the full 1Password4 folder intact. I suspect several recent passwords are missing.

While certainly not ideal, that's much better news than not having a backup at all. Just to be clear, are you saying you have found some relatively recent .1p4_zip backup archives?

The iPad is showing the same as OSX. It's asking me to sign in and or restore. Cannot obviously find an account.

It doesn't sound like you have an account. You only would if you'd signed up for a 1Password.com membership. If you've been using the standalone 1Password app(s) previously, you can set it up as an existing user

There is no '~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups' in the User --> Containers folder.

This would only exist if you'd used the Mac App Store version of 1Password at some point. It sounds like that's not the case.

It seems that I need basic instructions regarding the backup folder migration back to the Desktop's User Library Folder. Is it a simple drag/drop and replace?

If you have a .1p4_zip backup archive, you can restore from it using "Used 1Password before?" > "More options" > "Restore from backup" to select it:

You are responsible for a few more hairs dropping out of my head during the last couple of days. I am pleased to hear that this can be restored but I will believe it when I see it. Thanks, John GIl

Unfortunately it's impossible for us to stop you from deleting your data and backups. It's your computer after all! But while we don't have the data in order to be able to recover it for you (1Password.com memberships offer that, but it's something you'd have to opt-into yourself), we're happy to walk you through restoring from your own backup. Let us know how it turns out! :)

ref: OPM-2833

• john_gil
    john_gil
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Brenty, I opted to delete my response to your arrogance with the exception of the following... Disagree all you like...

For this email I will call myself Steven, but please don't be confused because I'm still John and despite the fact that my identification has expired, it's still me, I don't have new identification because the old one is still applicable, really! So, I'm Steven, but actually I'm expired John do you follow? Makes perfect sense eh?

FYI mastermind, I've probably been using the Mac professionally longer than you have been alive and your company offers a security solution for critical data including identification, passports, banking information etc.. I trust you are aware what you do. What you clearly do not embrace though is the responsibility that is required while doing so.

I have over 200 apps on my computer including occasional remnants from apps that have become obsolete for various reasons. Many software developers do not manage their expired data and it's the user's responsibility to do so to maintain system integrity as well to manage the memory on the disk. I use an app called Clean App when removing an app as well CleanMyMac on occasion but for an app like 1Password, which is updated and never deleted, these extra folders can become bloated and problematic. Having said that IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO MAINTAIN A FOLDER NAME BASED ON THE NAME OF AN EARLIER RELEASE!

I did investigate before I made that choice and many were saying 'Why are there so many back-up folders', simply stated? Being a sole proprietor, I do not have a team and have no need for paid account, merely the secured data that I use in addition to Apple's own Keychain. I use a Drobbox back-up and a physical HD back-up using SuperDuper to three separate, rotated drives. Has Steven said anything unreasonable yet?

Given the critical Nature of this information, any degree of confusion is counterproductive and perhaps dangerous given exactly what has transpired here. To suggest that I was negligent leaves me wondering if another serial number and password software solution would be a smart choice and I'm rather adept at verbally undressing sarcastic jackasses like yourself.

But wait, there's more. The files were dated 2015 in a 1Password 4 folder. There is a 1password 5 folder as well and I have NEVER INTERACTED with these folders even once since buying your software so please don't tell me that it was not created by AgileBits. These are also dated 2015. (See photo below). Note that I DID NOT delete that folder because it appeared to be a back up folder AND WHY DOES AGILE BITS KEEP ALL of the DATA in the SAME FOLDER as the BACK-UP FOLDER?

Given the most banal sort of naming logic and using corresponding dates as a verification, please tell me one reason why these two folders ought not to be deleted from the perspective of a Software User that does not spend their life focused on the intricacies of your particular software?

Here's the Dropbox Folder also with 2015 dates...

Given that I had read that 'all backups in version 6 were on your servers' and perhaps I missed that this was a PC only feature, I logically resolved that this is why all of my backups were outdated including the Keychains. Has Steven lost you yet, um, I mean current John not to be confused with expired John aka Steven?

I was able to restore a backup from March 4th! Yeah... Given that I backed up in May, I am unsure why this was the most recent backup nor why 2017 backups were not visible on my desktop that led to being deleted. This means that there are about ten entries that are missing including a new email that I recently created. Given Steven's 'error', I am grateful that this has been far easier than the worst case scenario, but if you have any further suggestions, after my counter insults, regarding the last two months of data, that would be appreciated.

• Hi @john_gil,

I'm really incredibly sorry that this happened to you. As one of the developers of the Mac app, it makes me angry at myself that something we chose to do ended up causing you grief.

I could list off a bunch of reasons for why we made the decision to stick with that old folder name, but they really don't matter right now. What matters to me now is helping you get back up and running with as little data loss as possible. Once we have you up and running I'd be happy to talk about our data structure at length.

You mentioned that you were able to restore from a March 4th backup. But you also mentioned that you were syncing with Dropbox. If you were syncing with Dropbox, then in Dropbox (likely in ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain or ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault) should have had a copy of your data used for syncing and it should have been up to date. Have you tried those?

Rick

This discussion has been closed.