How to synchronise legacy vault data in latest version? [1Password 6 does not support local vaults]

Options
dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

How do I synchronise my legacy vault data in the latest version? The option to synchronise is vanished. I can only remove the legacy vault. It also seems that 1PW 6 doesn't sync it automatically.

Currently it's not clear how to get changed items from a legacy vault into 1PW 6.

1Password Version: 1Password 6.6.433d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dahanbn,

Thanks for writing in.

That is correct because we've built the Import function to simplify the migration process from the local vaults to 1Password accounts and we are in the process of removing the outdated/unsupported local vault+sync implementation. As of 1Password 6.6, everyone will have to use the Import feature instead, to copy data over to 1Password accounts. Anyone who added a local vault prior to 1Password 6.5 can still be migrated to 1Password 6.6 but they will not be able to perform a manual sync and will have to use the Import feature or use 1Password 4 for local vaults if they're not using 1Password accounts.

That doesn't mean we will not have local vaults in 1Password 6 in the future. It just means we've simplifying the process for current customers who want to switch to 1Password memberships from local vaults, which has been greatly simplified. For local vaults, when we do implement it, it'll be with full support, not the way we have it now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Shouldn't such an important change mentioned in your release notes? If I remember you also didn't mention the break of automatically synchronisation of legacy vaults.

@dahanbn: Local vaults never had automatic syncing in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app. They were never editable, and supported for importing, so it isn't something it made any sense to implement.

As an user that uses 1W4 as main vault and 1PW6 as testing / backup and for web access your new approach isn't that comfortable.

We haven't designed 1Password to be used in this sort of multiple-app, cross-version setup. I realize that this doesn't help you now, but I hope you'll see why that isn't a good option. :(

I also tried your import from agilekeychain vaults. You don't still import attachments as documents and there is even no mention that you lose that data during the import process. Shouldn't the import of your own file format handle all data correctly?

I agree that everything should be imported, but as mentioned in the migration guide attachments cannot be added automatically at this time. It's something we're working on, but as with everything else in the new app we're adding things one step at a time. I'm not sure what you mean by data loss though, as the app does not touch the original data (it cannot write to the file).

From your import is your auto tagging also somewhat annoying. Without bulk tagging it's not easy to get rid of tags that where created during the import, e.g. "imported 09.06.2017 17:01".

I agree. We'll be adding better tag management to make it easier to edit/remove them.

Personally, I think you don't make it easy for users to use both versions side by side. I would switch to the new version for the main use but it's still not fully featured.

I understand completely. I'm really sorry that you're kind of stuck in the middle here, but I hope you'll appreciate that our focus needs to be solely on improving the new app so it can be everything you need, rather than trying to make the two versions work alongside each other. That's just not a good long-term solution. It's no fun right now while you're trying to manage both, but we're working hard on the new app so we can get it to where we all want it to be faster. Thanks for your patience. :blush:

• MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @dahanbn,

Shouldn't such an important change mentioned in your release notes? If I remember you also didn't mention the break of automatically synchronisation of legacy vaults.

It was noted as important in the previous stable 1Password 6.5 update when we started this; https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6#v400

Important: Due to upcoming external API changes, we are retiring 3rd party sync options (Dropbox & OneDrive), and simplifying the migration by reworking the import process to handle this step. If you have vaults opened via Dropbox or OneDrive, they will automatically be converted to local folders.

If you enable beta updates on top, #423 shows this:

Renamed Accounts & Vaults to Accounts and removed Folders submenu (for new customers) as we now use the newer and better-supported Import function for importing your local data into 1Password.com. Manual sync has been removed as Import takes over that function.

This will be mentioned as important note in the stable update for 1Password 6.6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: We're in complete agreement that the process needs to be easier and more user-friendly. It's something we'll continue to work on, both in the app and documentation. We just don't have a better solution ready at this time. Thanks for your honest feedback on this.

• @dahanbn you are right that import miss attachments, it's going to be added soon. Have a great weekend ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: Yeah, and it's a bit confusing. Just to clarify, having to export individual attachments manually from local vaults 1Password 4 is the big hurdle here currently. 1Password 6 can add multiple documents at a time easily; there just isn't an automated way of doing this from an existing vault. That's going to change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: Yep! It isn't ideal, but when you export to 1PIF, any attachments will be saved as files in an attachments folder in the same location as the .1pif. Importing the 1PIF into 1Password 6 will not import these attachments. But that will at least allow you to export multiple attachments quickly, and then you can add the files in bulk to 1Password 6 as Documents using New Item > Import Files as Documents. Cheers! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: On behalf of brenty you are very welcome! :+1: We have have a notice in our migration guide saying that attachments will not be imported automatically, but we are working hard to improve this experience.

If there is anything else we can help you with, you know where to find us. ;)

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

Totally. It's something we're considering, but the flip side is that manual export isn't the easiest thing either way, so we're always happy to help anyone with migration. :)

ref: akb-755

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: That's great to hear! You won't need luck though. We've got a great update to the Windows app right around the corner for you (you have good timing!) and we're here to help in any way we can. And remember you've got plenty of storage for more Documents! Thanks so much for the feedback on this and other aspects of 1Password. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.