1Password doesn't use item field names in an consistent language

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I use 1Password6, 1Password4 on a German localised Windows & 1PW on a Nederlands localised iPhones.

Because I create some items on Windows (1PW4) and some on my iPhone I noticed that I have a wild mix of entry field names. Some are in German, some are in English and some are in Netherlands.

Don't use for standard items and fields an internal database? Doesn't look like. I would expect that I create a creditcard item it would use the same standard fields on each localisation internally and only show them with the correct localisation depending on the platform language.

I mean creditcard field "cardholder" would be internally maybe the english field name. And it would show up in English as "Name of the cardholder", in German "Name des Karteninhabers" and in Netherlands as "kaarthouder". But it doesn't make sense to manually save the localised versions of standard entry fieldnames and sync those accross devices.

Please consider a more database like approach for those entries.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AlexHoffmann
    edited June 2017

Hey @dahanbn,

That's something we're aware of. I use 1Password in more than one language as well and we are taking steps to make this point of friction go away. I can't say when this will happen because it requires fairly extensive changes not just in the clients.

Keep the feedback coming, we appreciate it!

Cheers,

Alex

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hello AgileBits-Team,

Are there any news about this topic? I subscribed for the Family-Plan - but I I really dislike that the App-Version (iOS11) is a an utter confusion between languages (in my case English & German). I really would like to stay with 1PW as I like Family-Sharing. Nevertheless I tried Dashlane and found out that the languages are working well...

Best regards
    Andreas

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I have forgotten to mention, that this happens in the macOS-Version as well: A total mess between languages and even inside different categories. And I have never used different languages setting on my devices...just German....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Knabberbox: Sorry for the confusion there. Since a lot of this is handled by the server with 1Password.com accounts, and 1Password.com is not localized, you'll see items templates/categories in English. We're working to localize 1Password.com, and as we roll that out on the server in the future you'll see these localized on your devices as well.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick answer. I am looking forward to it....hopefully soon...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can't give you an ETA on it, as it is a pretty big undertaking, but we'll be glad once all of the work is done as well. It will make it easier for a lot of our families to use 1Password.com too. :blush:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hello AgileBits-Team,

Unfortunately, it seems that nothing has changed until today? There is still a wild mix between the languages of the macOS, iOS and 1Password.com version and inside every version. This is really annoying... please solve this soon.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Knabberbox: I'm not sure if you're referring to the app localization or 1Password.com, but there won't be a "wild mix". Information that is translated will all be in the correct language, while information that has not will be in English. 1Password.com is not localizable yet, but if you notice issues with the app translation it would be helpful to know the language and particular strings that need attention. Thanks! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick answer.
    For example: The two screenshots from macOS and iOS highlight the German words - but everything else is in English. And 1Password.com is English only...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Knabberbox: Correct. All of the category names come from the server, so those will be translated once we finish that project on 1Password.com. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the mean time, but thanks for you patience. :blush:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Ok, thank you!

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.