1Password.com account sign in [requires Android 5 or later]

This discussion was created from comments split from: HOW DO I SIGN IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Comments

• wimvmourik
    wimvmourik
    Community Member

I don't mean to hijack this post, but I seem to have the same issue.
    Previously, I used 1Password on Android as well, but have migrated to 1Password families quite recently.
    When I delete and reinstall the Android app (v6.5.2) on my phone (Android v4.3.1) I also see the question/login screen:
    Have you used 1Password before?
    with only these three options:

• Dropbox
    • WLAN server
    • Local storage

which to me is missing the option of logging into my Family account.

When I view the various support pages on 1Password for Android
    (such as this one: https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/?android)
    I notice there is no mention of a required Android version.

However, in my Families account, I do see this text displayed for adding an Android device:
    Get 1Password for Android
    Designed for Android 6. Requires Android 5.0 or newer.

This tells me that the Google Play Store is holding two different versions of the Android app, but naturally hiding the newer app for Android devices which don't have the required Android version.
    Since I have multiple Android devices (and unfortunately also some which will never receive an Android update anymore) I am too a bit miffed about this. However, since I understand that supporting 1Password on multiple versions is too costly, I cannot hold a grudge on that decision.

Still, two suggestions:

• change/add the text on your website to inform customers of your multiple versions
    • add a text to the old version of the app informing the customer that the online 1Password account cannot be added through the old app

Sure, this doesn't fix anything, but it is informative.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wimvmourik: Thanks for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the confusion there! In fact, we only have a single 1Password for Android app. But some features require support in the OS, so these will only be available in those cases:

• Fingerprint unlock: requires Nexus Imprint, which is only available on devices that support it, starting with Android 6
    • 1Password.com accounts: requires advanced crypto features which are only available on Android 5 and later

You're right that this is confusing though, and we'll see what we can do to make these requirements clearer. Thanks for your feedback on this.

This discussion has been closed.