Thoughts on 2 factor authentication

Options
learning_1pw
learning_1pw
Community Member

This is not really a 1Password Families issue, but I imagine that a lot of 1Password Families users have considered the issue that I am about to raise. I would appreciate any solutions that you have come across. I have my families accounts set up so that my brother and son can step in an handle things if something happens to me. Each of them lives over a 1000 miles from me. With the data in 1PW families they can login to my accounts from their homes. The one kicker is accounts where I have set up 2 factor authentication requiring my cell phone. They are locked out of those accounts.

How have others handled this issue?

tom

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: na
OS Version: OS 10.12.5
Sync Type: families

Comments

• rickfillion
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @learning_1pw,

This would depend on the kind of 2FA system you're using. If you're using a TOTP based system, which is the vast majority of them out there these days, you should be able to add the TOTP secret to 1Password and have 1Password itself generate the second factor code. Have you tried using that in 1Password? We don't do a very good job of advertising the fact that it can do this.

In the case of SMS based systems that wouldn't be possible though.

Rick

ref: akb-754

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Rick. I was not aware that 1Password supports TOTP. I'll search for the documentation on that, since I hope that more of my providers will use it in the future.

For now, though, my accounts use SMS. For those that offer the choice between SMS and email, I have been choosing email to solve my remote family member problem.

tom

• Here's a link to a guide to using 1Password as the TOTP code generator : https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

Rick

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Cool. Thanks, Rick.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@learning_1pw On behalf of Rick, you're very welcome! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.